Listen to part of a lecture in a business management class.
請聽一段企業管理課上的演講。
OK. Uh, let's talk about organization and structure in a company. How are companies typically structured?
我們來談談一個公司的組織和結構。公司一般是如何構建的?
Functionally.
功能性構建。
And...? By projects.
還有呢?通過項目。
Right. By function...and by projects.
對的。通過功能和項目來構建。
Twenty years ago companies were organized in function groups, where people with a certain expertise worked together as a unit—
20年前公司按功能分組組織,有著某種專長的人作為一個單元在一起工作,
the, uh, architects in one unit, the finance people in another unit.
額,建筑師在一個單元,財務人員在另一個單元。
Well, nowadays a lot of companies are organized around projects—
現在很多的公司根據項目來組織——
like a construction company could be building an office building in one city and an apartment house somewhere else,
比如一個建筑公司可能會在一個城市造一棟辦公樓,在別的地方建一套公寓,
and each project has its own architects and engineers.
每個項目都會有自己的建筑師和工程師。
Now, the good thing about project organization is that it's easier to change to adapt to the needs of the project—
項目組織的好處是,根據項目的需要改變起來更容易些——
it's a small group, a dedicated team, not the whole company.
小團體,一個專門的團隊,而不是整個公司。
Now, with that in mind, here's a question for you:
記住那一點,我有一個問題問你們:
Why do we continue to organize ourselves by function,
我們為什么還要繼續根據功能來組織,
even now, when in fact we admit that projects are the lifeblood of a lot of organizations?
甚至是現在,在我們承認項目是很多組織的命脈的時候?
Why do some companies maintain a functional organization instead of organizing around projects? Yes?
為什么一些公司保持著功能性組織而不根據項目來組織?你來說?
Because, um, if you don't have that functional structure within your organization,
因為,如果在公司里沒有功能性結構,
chances are you'd have a harder time meeting the goals of the projects.
可能會更難達到項目的目標。
Why?
為什么呢?
Why?
為什么?
Listen, let's say we got four new cars we want to design. Why do we need a functional organization?
聽著,假設我們要設計四款新車。為什么我們會需要一個功能性組織?
Why not just organize the company around the four projects—these people make car number one, these other people make car number two...
為什么不根據這四個項目來組織公司——這些人做一號車,那些人做二號車......
Yeah, but who's gonna be responsible for what? You know, the way you tell who's...
是的,但是誰負責什么呢?分辨誰是......
Well...well, we'll appoint a manager: new car number one manager, car number two manager—they're completely responsible.
我們會任命一個經理:新車一號經理,車二號經理——他們全權負責。
Why should we have a single engineering department that has all four cars passing through it?
為什么我們要一個單獨的工程部,四輛車都要經過他們的手?
When you design a car, you need the expertise of all the engineers in the company.
當你設計一輛車的時候,你需要公司所有工程師的專長。
Each engineer needs to be in touch with the entire engineering department.
每個工程師都需要和整個工程部交流。
Yeah, but I keep...I keep asking why? I wanna know why. Yes.
是的,但是我還要問為什么?我想知道原因。你說。
Well, to eliminate redundancy's probably one of the biggest factors in an organization.
來消除冗余,那也許是公司里最大的原因了。
So that uh...so that there's there's...standards of...for uniformity and efficiency in the organization.
所以公司里就會有一個統一和有效的標準。