In Reply to a Friend's Compliments-
答客贊 —
I am a Solitary Blade of Grass
我是一棵孤獨的小草
Why do you say I am a national treasure?
怎么你說我是個國寶?
No, pandas are the treasures of our nation!
不,熊貓才是中華的國寶!
I am nothing but a solitary blade of grass,
我是一棵孤獨的小草,
In terms of figures,I am really quite slim.
論身材我的確十分苗條。
I 've been raised up with rains,dews and sunshine,
陽光雨露撫育我成長,
The blue sky and white clouds greet me with smiles;
藍天白云向我點頭微笑;
Pretty flowers have kept me company,
有百花為我作伴,
How can I be lonely,not happy and carefree?
我怎能孤獨,而不快樂逍遙?
Sometimes I seem to be toppling down,
有時雖有點搖搖欲墜,
But I will never swing with the wind;
但我決不臨風歪倒;
Or flow with the stream,
既不會隨波飄流,
Nor do I win favor with crooked means.
更不會投機取巧。
Tempered in the smoke of war,
經歷戰火的磨練,
Tortured through the test of a hard life,
飽受生活的煎熬;
Even though I'm next to nothing,
我雖然微不足道,
Yet I'm a proud blade of grass!
卻是一棵驕傲的小草!