Business
商業
Bartleby -- The business phrasebook
巴托比——職場常用語手冊
A short guide to what your colleagues really mean
一份關于你同事真正想說的話的簡短指南
Reed Hastings has built the culture at Netflix around it.
里德·黑斯廷斯圍繞著它在Netflix建立了一種文化。
Ray Dalio made it a founding principle at Bridgewater, a successful investment fund.
雷·戴利奧將其作為成功的投資基金布里奇沃特的創始原則。
"Radical candour" is the idea that bracing honesty is the best way to run a business: no one dances around the truth, and swifter feedback improves performance.
“徹底的坦誠”是這樣一種理念,即認為誠實是經營企業的最佳方式:沒有人繞圈子回避事實,迅即的反饋能夠提升業績。
Most firms rely on a messier doctrine.
大多數公司依賴于一種更混亂的原則。
People rarely say what they mean, but hope that their meaning is nonetheless clear.
人們很少說出他們真正想說的話,但同時希望別人能明白他們的意思。
Think Britain, but with paycheques.
想想英國就是這樣,但這回我們要談的是掙錢方面。
To navigate this kind of workplace, you need a phrasebook.
要駕馭這種工作環境中,你需要一本常用語手冊。
"I hear you."
“我聽到你說的了。”
Ostensible meaning: You're making a legitimate point.
表面意思:你的觀點是合理的。
Actual meaning: Be quiet.
實際意思:別說了。
"Let's discuss this offline."
“我們線下討論吧。”
Ostensible meaning: We shouldn't waste other people's valuable time.
表面意思:我們不應該浪費別人的寶貴時間。
Actual meaning: Let's never speak of this again. (see also: "Let's put a pin in it.")
實際意思:讓我們別再提這件事了。(另見:“這事就到此為止吧。”)
"We should all learn to walk in each other's shoes."
“我們都應該學會設身處地為他人著想。”
Ostensible meaning: Shared understanding results in better outcomes.
表面意思:共同理解會帶來更好的結果。
Actual meaning: I need you to know that my job is a living hell.
實際意思:我想讓你知道,我的工作簡直就是人間地獄。
"I'm just curious..."
“我只是好奇……”
Ostensible meaning: I'd like to know why you think that...
表面意思:我想知道你為什么認為……
Actual meaning: ...because it makes no sense to anyone else.
實際意思:……因為這對其他人來說毫無意義。
"It's great to have started this conversation."
“很高興我們開始了這次對話。”
Ostensible meaning: We've raised an important issue here.
表面意思:我們提出了一個重要的問題。
Actual meaning: We've made absolutely no progress.
實際意思:我們完全沒有取得任何進展。
"I wanted to keep you in the loop."
“我想讓你隨時了解情況。”
Ostensible meaning: I am informing you of something minor.
表面意思:我要告訴你一件小事。
Actual meaning: I should have told you this weeks ago.
實際意思:幾周前我就應該告訴你了。
"Do you have five minutes?"
“你有五分鐘的時間嗎?”
Ostensible meaning: I have something trivial to say.
表面意思:我有一些無關緊要的事要說。
Actual meaning: You are in deep, deep trouble.
實際意思:你有大麻煩了。
"Let's handle this asynchronously."
“我們異步地處理這個問題吧。”
Ostensible meaning: We'll each work on this task in our own time.
表面意思:我們將用各自的時間完成這項任務。
Actual meaning: I have to go to my Pilates class now.
實際意思:我現在得去上普拉提課了。
"It's on the product roadmap."
“它在產品路線圖上呢。”
Ostensible meaning: It'll be done soon.
表面意思:很快就會完成的。
Actual meaning: It won't be done soon.
實際意思:一時半會完成不了。
"We're moving to an agile framework."
“我們正在轉向一個敏捷的架構。”
Ostensible meaning: We will work iteratively in response to user feedback.
表面意思:我們將以迭代的方式回應用戶反饋。
Actual meaning: We're literally planning to go round in circles.
實際意思:實際上,我們打算在原地打轉。
"It's a legacy tech stack."
“這是一個傳統的技術堆棧。”
Ostensible meaning: It's a rat's nest of old and incompatible systems.
表面意思:這些系統老舊不兼容,一團亂麻。
Actual meaning: None of this is our fault.
實際意思:這一切都不是我們的錯。
"We are a platform business."
“我們是一家平臺型企業。”
Ostensible meaning: We provide an ecosystem in which others can interact.
表面意思:我們提供了一個其他人可以互動的生態系統。
Actual meaning: Let's pretend we are a tech firm and see what happens to our valuation. (see also: "as a service", "network effects" and "flywheels")
實際意思:假裝我們是一家科技公司,看看估值會發生什么變化。(另見:“作為服務商”,“網絡效應”和“飛輪”)
"We are planning for the metaverse."
“我們正在為元宇宙做計劃。”
Ostensible meaning: We are ready for a shared, immersive digital world.
表面意思:我們已經準備好迎接一個共享的、沉浸的數字化世界。
Actual meaning: Ooh, look! A bandwagon!
實際意思:噢,看啊!一個新風口!
"Bring your whole selves to work."
“全身心投入工作。”
Ostensible meaning: Be authentic and don't be afraid to show vulnerability.
表面意思:要真實,不要害怕表現出脆弱。
Actual meaning: But not those bits of your whole self, obviously.
實際意思:但顯然不是要你表現出你那部分完整的自己。
In a world of radical candour, there would be less need for translating.
在一個完全坦誠的世界里,就不太需要這種翻譯了。
Most managers and colleagues could indeed be better at giving unvarnished feedback.
大多數管理者和同事確實更善于給出真實的反饋。
Some words and phrases are so opaque they absorb all visible meaning.
有些詞和短語非常晦澀難懂,它們包含了所有你能想到的意思。
But there is an awful lot to be said for coded communication.
但是,對于加密交流來說,還有很多可說的。
Work is where people learn to manage social interactions, not define them out of existence.
工作是人們學習處理社會互動的地方,而不是把它們當作不存在。
Transparency doesn't necessarily travel well across borders.
公開透明不一定能很好地跨越邊界。
And perpetual bluntness is draining; humans constantly finesse and massage the messages they send in order to avoid open conflict.
并且總是直率會令人精疲力竭;為了避免公開的沖突,人類不斷地巧妙處理推敲他們傳遞的信息。
Radical candour is associated with firms that pay very well.
徹底的坦誠常出現在高薪企業。
That may be because this approach leads to greater success.
可能是因為這種方法會帶來更大的成功。
It may be because otherwise most people wouldn't put up with it.
可能因為如果不是這樣,大多數人忍受不了它。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。