Dialogue:
A: You are sure to be lagged behind if you rest on your laurels.
如果你滿足于現有成績的話,很快就會被甩在后面了。
B: I know what I should do in the future. I'll continue my effort.
我知道該怎么辦,我會繼續努力的。
一, 詞海拾貝
rest on one’s laurels
exp. To stop trying because one is satisfied with one's past achievements. (安于現狀,吃老本,故步自封)
e.g. I know your first novel was a smash success, but if you just rest on your laurels, you're going to fade into obscurity.
我知道你的第一部小說非常成功,但是如果你還固步自封,你就會默默無聞。
e.g. We rested on our laurels too long and our competitors took away a lot of our business.
我們安于現狀太久了,所以我們的競爭對手搶走了我們很多生意。
二, 語匯積累
1. in the future:從今以后
e.g. You should devote yourself to mathematics in the future.
將來你應該獻身于數學。
e.g. One does not know how many such balls there will be in the future.
很難說以后還能舉行多少這樣的舞會了。
2. lag behind:落后
e.g. If we walk slower than the others we shall lag behind them.
如果我們比其他人走得慢,我們就會落在他們后面。
e.g. Modesty helps one to make progress, conceit makes one lag behind.
虛心使人進步,驕傲使人落后。