第一,迷你對話
A: I'm sorry I forgot your birthday. I was so busy and the date completely slipped my mind.
抱歉,我忘記你的生日了。我很忙,完全忘記這個日子了。
B: Never mind.
不要緊。
A: In order to show my regret, I bought a copy of Lu Xun's short stories for you.
為了表達我的歉意,我給你買了一套魯迅短片小說集。
B: Oh, you shouldn't have done it! It must have cost you a fortune.
哦,你不該買的,一定花了你很多錢吧。
第二,地道表達
slip one's mind
解詞釋義
Slip one's mind中的slip意思是“被......遺忘”,mind有“思想”的意思。Slip one's mind的字面意思是“遺忘了某人的思想”,意思即:忘記,被忽略。
拓展范例
E.g. Our telephone number has slipped my mind.
你的電話號碼我忘了。
E.g. It slipped my mind that I was visiting him today.
我忘了今天要訪問他的事。
E.g. I meant to mail the letter,but it entirely slipped my mind.
我本來準備發這封信的,卻完全給忘掉了。
E.g. I've been meaning to get back in touch with you.It just slipped my mind.
我一直想跟你聯系,但我就是忘記了。
第三,好詞妙語
in order to:為了......
E.g. He lit a cigarette in order to calm his mind.
他點燃一支香煙,鎮定一下情緒。
E.g. We started early in order to arrive before dark.
為了在天黑前到達,我們很早就動身了。
show one's regret:表示遺憾,表示歉意
E.g. Mr. Pam didn't show regrets for what he had done.
帕姆先生對其所做的事不感到后悔和惋惜。
a copy of:一本,一份
E.g. Each winner will be given a copy of a Modern English Grammar.
每個得勝者給一本《現代英語語法》。
E.g. Do you want me to print you a copy of my report?
你要我把我的報告印一份復印件給你嗎?
cost sb. a fortune:花費某人很多錢
E.g. That's a queer house of yours. And it must have cost a fortune to build.
那房子挺別致的,造價一定很高吧。
E.g. The house cost him a small fortune.
這幢房子花了他不少錢。
第四,句式講解
Sb. should have not done:表示不該做的事情卻做了
E.g. I should not have done so, other than for the most compelling reasons.
要不是出于非常緊迫的原因,我本不應該這樣做的。
Sb. must have done: 對事情很有把握的猜測
E.g. He must have arrived here last night.
他肯定是昨晚到達這里的。
E.g. He must have had lunch.
他肯定吃過午飯了。