第一,迷你對話
A: You seem worried.
你看起來很擔心。
B: Yeah. I'm worried about son. I have talked with him for hours, but I still couldn't make him see reasons. I's really pissed.
是的,我擔心我的兒子。我和他談了幾個小時,但是我還是不能讓他明白我的道理,我真是氣死了。
A: Don't waste your time. He's grown up. He has his own ideas.
別浪費時間餓了。他已經成人了,他有他自己的主意。
B: But it is dangerous for him to do that.
但是他那么做有危險。
第二,地道表達
see reason
解詞釋義
See reason的字面意思是“看清了事物的原因,道理”,引申為“某人明白道理,接受勸告”。
拓展范例
E.g. I finally managed to make him see reason, and he agreed not to sell the family farm just yet.
我最后說服了她,他同意現在不賣農莊了。
E.g. My grandma is never going to see reason about her smoking—by her logic, she's already got one foot in the grave, so why should she give up something that she still enjoys?
祖母不會接受不吸煙的勸告。按她的邏輯看,她快要入土了,她為何還要放棄她喜愛的東西了。
第三,好詞妙語
worry about:擔心
E.g. Don't worry about him; he is a cheerful and elastic man.
別為他擔心;他是個快活開朗的人。
for hours:數小時
E.g. The lawyers argued the case for hours.
律師們對那個案件辯論了幾小時。
be grown up:長大成人
E.g. Nobody is ever humble enough to learn after he's grown up.
任何人在成年以后,都不會那么虛心學習了。