Merely an interlude
僅僅是插曲而已
Darling, I have something to tell you, Rachel said to Alex as she put her spoon down by her plate.
親愛的,我有話要對你說,雷切爾邊把勺子放在盤子邊上,邊對亞歷克斯說。
I am really very sorry about this, but I have been having my internal doubts for some time now.
我對此真的非常抱歉,我有內心的懷疑已經有一段時間了。
I've come to the conclusion, I'm afraid, that you have been merely an interlude in my life, a kind of intermission, as it were.
很抱歉,我已經得出結論,你僅僅是我生命中的一首插曲,可以說就像歲月中的一個間歇一樣。
Our moments of ecstasy have become far too intermittent,she continued.
我們之間狂喜的時刻太斷斷續續了,她繼續說。
I understand you have your own internal problems at the institute but you have allowed them to adversely affect your interpersonal skills.
我知道你在學院有自己內在的問題,但是,你允許那些問題對你的人際關系技巧造成了負面影響。
You see, the intervals between us interlocking our minds and bodies, as it were, have grown longer and longer.
你看,我們把思想和身體結合起來的時間間隔可以說是變得越來越長了。
What's behind all this, hey? Alex interjected.
你究竟想說什么,啊?亞歷克斯突然插嘴。
I do wish I would not interrogate you, but it seems to me that our time of interdependence is over, and I really should like to know why.
我真的不希望審問你,但是我覺得我們互相依賴的日子已經結束了,我很想知道為什么。
Well, darling, what's so important about being interdependent, anyway? Rachel replied.
嗯,親愛的,互相依賴到底有什么重要的呢?雷切爾回答。
Let's just say I have come to understand that we have both come to an intersection in our lives where we shall be taking different roads.
就是說我已經明白了我們都走了生命的十字路口,大家要走不同的路了。
I just wish you would not interfere with me so much as you have been doing.
我只是希望你不要像以前那樣妨礙我。
Oh yeah? Alex interjected again.
噢,是嗎?亞歷克斯又突然插嘴。
While I've been busy traveling in the African interior, you've been sitting here thinking about separation.
當我忙著非洲內陸旅行的時候,你卻坐在這里考慮分手。
Alex, dear, I'd prefer you not to put your own interpretation on things, Rachel went on.
親愛的亞歷克斯,我希望你不要給事情加上自己的解釋,雷切爾繼續說。
The paths of our lives simply no longer intersect.
我們生命的道路不再相交了。
And so, as an intermediate solution, I'd suggest that you stay in the guest bedroom as from tonight.
所以,作為居間的解決辦法,我建議你從今晚開始住在客房里。
Darling, don't do this to me! Alex exclaimed. Give us one last chance!
親愛的,別這樣對我!亞歷克斯大叫道。給咱們最后一次機會!
Let me find an intermediary to intervene. A counselor's intervention may yet save our marriage.
我找一個中間人來干涉。顧問的介入也許能拯救我們的婚姻。