Lastly, I can vouch-as improbable as it seems--that even if I had wanted to destroy all my illusions,
最后,我還要肯定一點—這看來像是不可能的—即使我要打破我心中的一切幻想,
even if I had been willing to "give in to despair," I could not have done so!
即使我要絕望,現在也辦不到!
The cetacean had rammed our frigate at about eleven o'clock in the evening.
戰艦跟那鯨魚沖撞的時間是在夜間十一點鐘左右。
I therefore calculated on eight hours of swimming until sunrise.
所以到太陽升起,我們還得游泳八個小時。
A strenuous task, but feasible, thanks to our relieving each other.
我們替換著游,游八小時必然可以做到。
The sea was pretty smooth and barely tired us.
海面相當平靜,我們還不至于過度疲勞。
Sometimes I tried to peer through the dense gloom, which was broken only by the phosphorescent flickers coming from our movements.
有時,我的眼光想看透深沉的黑暗,但什么也看不見,只有那由于我們游泳動作激起的浪花透出一點閃光來。
I stared at the luminous ripples breaking over my hands, shimmering sheets spattered with blotches of bluish gray.
在我手下破碎的明亮的水波,點綴在鏡子般閃閃的水而上,就好像一塊塊青灰色的金屬片。
It seemed as if we'd plunged into a pool of quicksilver.
真可以說,我們是在水銀中游泳了。
Near one o'clock in the morning, I was overcome with tremendous exhaustion.
到早晨一點左右,我感到極端疲倦。
My limbs stiffened in the grip of intense cramps.
我的四肢痙攣得很厲害,漸漸發硬,不能靈活運用了。