Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a professor.
獨白:聽下面一段學生和教授之間的講話。
Professor Jennings, I hope I am not interrupting, but you wanted to see me?
詹寧斯教授,我希望我沒有打擾到您,您想見我?
Oh, hello, Suzane. Yes, yes, come right in. How are you doing?
哦,蘇澤。是的,是的,進來吧!最近如何?
All right.
還行!
Well, good. The reason I wanted to talk to you was that while you were presenting you linguistics project in class the other day, well, you know, I was thinking you are a perfect candidate for the dean's undergraduate research fund.
嗯,好!我想見你,是因為你上次在課上給我們做了關于語言項目的報告很不錯,我覺得你很適合去競爭系主任本科生研究經費。
Um...Professor, I am not really sure what the...um...dean....
嗯,教授,我想我不太明白那個叫…是什么?
Undergraduate research fund is ... It is a mouthful I suppose.
本科生研究項目是?嗯,這個叫法可能有些隨意了。
OK. Here's the thing. Every year the school has a pool of money to fund a number of research projects of undergraduate students.
好吧,這么說吧!學校每年都會抽出來一部分經費,支持本科生研究項目。
Because as you can imagine, in-depth research often requires monetary support.
正如你也能想到,深度研究當然會需要經費的支持。
I would like to expand on my research.
我當然愿意把我的研究推進下去。
Good. First a panel of professors reviews the applications for the grant.
好!首先,一個由教授組成的委員會將會預覽競爭經費的項目,
And then they decide which research project should be funded.
之后再決定那些項目獲得支持。
The allotted money could be used for travel expenses, to attend a conference for example, or things like supplies, research equipment, resources that are necessary to conduct the research.
分配下來的經費可以被用作差旅費,比如參加學術會議的費用,或者補充給養,購買設備、資料等進行研究必備的東西。
I see.
我明白了。
Right. And I think you should apply for this grant. Your project is definitely eligible.
好的。我認為你應該申請這筆經費。你的項目很明顯有競爭力。
And you can expand it if you have the necessary resources.
到時候如果你有了必須的資料,你就能把你的研究擴展開去。
So, does it sound like something you would be interested in?
所以,這聽上去是讓你覺得有趣的事兒么?
Oh, yeah, sounds great.
哦,是的,聽上去很不錯!
I thought the topic I work on was very interesting, and it is certainly relevant to my linguistics major.
我覺得我現在做的項目很有趣,并且它和我的語言學專業是對口的。
I assume it will also look good when I try to get into graduate school.
我想,這個項目應該會為我進入研究生院增光添彩吧!
But how do I apply for the grant?
不過,我要怎樣才能申請到這筆錢?
It is pretty straightforward.
申請方式很簡明。
A brief description of your proposed project, and an estimated budget.
首先,你先大致描述一下你的項目,然后在給出預算,
How much you need to spend and what you intend to spend it on.
即你會在那些事情上花錢,花多少。
Also a glowing letter of recommendation from a linguistics professor wouldn't hurt, which I'd be more than happy to write up for you.
同時,如果能夠從語言學教授那兒送一封推薦信過去的話也會有幫助,這件事情我樂意效勞。
OK. Cool. I am pretty clear on how to carry out my project, but I am not sure where I can find more information on the subject.
嗯,好極了!我現在已經很了解我要怎樣進行我的項目,但我不清楚那兒能找到更多的相關資訊。
Well, I have already thought of that.
嗯,我已經想過了。
There's this private library at a university in Boston.
波士頓有個大學里有一家私人圖書館,
By the way, because I graduated from that school, I can get you access to it, no problem.
我是從那兒畢業的,我可以幫你進去。
You see the library houses lots of unpublished documents that are relevant to your topic.
那兒保存了許多尚未公布但與你研究領域相關的資料。
So I can put that on the application for the grant, that I plan on using material from that library for my research and figure a trip to Boston into my budget?
這樣的話,我能把這條信息也寫到經費申請表里面去,之后,我就能夠把我將會在那兒使用資料的費用以及來往的差旅費放到預算里了?
Exactly. I really think judging from your work in class, and the relevance and clarity of this project, you really have a good chance of getting the funding.
我已經從你的課堂作業和你項目的相關性預測了一下,對!你拿下這筆錢的機會很大!
OK. I'll definitely apply then.
好的!我會盡快申請!
The sooner the better. It is due in a few weeks.
越快越好!距離截止日期還剩幾周了!
Gook Luck! And I'll get that letter written up right away.
祝你好運!我馬上把推薦信寫了。