第一、短語精講
as dead as a doornail:肯定死了,徹底死亡
e.g.Be careful with that bottle. It's cyanide. One swallow of that and you'd be dead as a doornail.
當心那個瓶子,那是氰化物。只要喝上一口,就會叫人一命嗚呼。
e.g.It lay there with its eyes closed, dead as a doornail.
它躺在那里眼睛閉著, 確實死了。
show off:賣弄,炫耀,顯擺
e.g. His show off only serves to show up his ignorance.
他的賣弄只不過暴露了他自己的無知。
e.g. She did a quick twirl to show off her dress.
她輕快地一轉身,炫耀自己所穿的衣服。
get off:動身
e.g. At eight I said, “I'm getting off now.”
8點鐘的時候,我說“我現在要出發了。”
e.g.We must get off at once or we'll be late.
我們必須馬上走,否則要遲到了。
take care of:處理,料理
e.g. I' ll take care of the affairs of office.
我來處理辦公室的日常事務。
e.g. I take care of both to the best of my ability.
我盡我所能把兩方面都照顧好。
have a care:對......當心,留神,小心,謹慎
e.g. Have a care what you say or you may regret it.
當心你說的話,否則你可能會后悔的。
e.g. They were tall men and beautiful women who seemed not to have a care in the world.
男人身材高大,婦女婀娜多姿,他們無憂無慮,好象對世界上的一切都不用操心似的。
e.g. Have a care that you don' t drive too fast.
當心別把車開得太快。
mind doing:介意做......
e.g.I don't mind doing you a favour that costs me nothing.
順水人情不妨做做。
e.g.Would you mind doing me a little favour?
你能否幫我一個忙?
hard on:嚴厲對待
e.g.The discord of his music was hard on the ear.
他演奏的不和諧音很刺耳。
e.g.Hunter looked up and said,"Don't be hard on him, Loft."
亨特仰頭說:“不要對他太狠,洛夫特。”
in front of:在......面前,當著.......的面
e.g.I feel uneasy in front of an audience.
我在觀眾面前感到不自在。
e.g.The prisoners were forced to lie prostrate in front of their captors.
囚犯們被迫在逮捕他們的那些人面前臥倒。
第二、短語積累
on a Sunday:在某個周日
foreign parts:異域
upstairs or down:樓上樓下
female staff:女員工
fine and fragile:脆弱的
horrid for:對......來說是可怕的
one minute:一下子,一會兒
in the end:最后,終于
come out:出現