第一、重點短語精講
1. pay for:為......而付出代價
e.g. I don't know why the children must pay for our sins.
我不明白為什么要讓孩子來抵償我們的罪過。
e.g. You will pay for your dishonesty.
你不老實,總有一天會吃苦頭的。
2. wear sb. out:使某人精疲力竭或厭煩
Exp. cause sb to become exhausted; tire sb out
e.g. They were worn out after a long day spent working in the fields.
他們在地里干了一整天的活兒, 累得疲憊不堪。
e.g. Just listening to his silly chatter wears me out.
我聽著他無聊的話把我煩透了。
3. brush up on sth.:溫習,鞏固
Exp. study or practise sth in order to get back a skill that was lost
e.g. I advise you to make the best use of your time to brush up on your lessons before examination
我勸你在考試前抓緊時間溫習功課。
e.g. Your ideas are good, but you need to brush up on your tact.
你的想法很好,但你得先鍛煉一下做事的方法。
e.g. He should brush up on the basic chords.
他應該好好練習基本和弦。
3. remind sb. of sth.:讓某人想起某物,勾起某人對某物的記憶
e.g. Now that you remind me of this matter, I have a vague impression of it.
這事經你一提醒, 我腦子里才有點兒影子。
e.g. Yellow flowers of rape always remind me of my childhood in the countryside.
黃黃的油菜花總使我想起我在農村時的童年。
e.g. Could you remind me of it on Saturday in case it slips my mind?
萬一星期六忘了,你能提醒我一下嗎?
4. in the saddle:在權,掌職
e.g. My brother as a manager was in the saddle again.
我兄弟又當上了經理。
e.g. He was determined to stay in the saddle at all costs.
他打定主意要不惜一切代價繼續掌權。
第二、短語積累
at one’s age:在某人的這個年齡
come out with:和......一起出門,和......一起出去
everyone else:其他所有人
in the saddle:在馬鞍上