Welcome to English in a minute.
歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》欄目!
This American idiom is about getting your facts right.
這個美語俚語是指直接收到消息。
Did you hear that rumor going around about Craig and Cheryl calling off their wedding?
你聽說關于克萊和查理要取消婚禮的那個謠言了嗎?
Yeah. I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.
我聽說了。我是直接從當事人那里得到的消息。
Craig told me he's calling off the wedding.
克萊告訴我他正在取消婚禮。
I didn't want to ask too many questions, but it's true.
我不想問太多問題,但是這是真的。
Do people really look into a horse's mouth for facts?
人們真的要從馬嘴中尋找事實嘛?
Straight from the horse's mouth means you got information about a situation directly from a person involved, and not through rumors.
Straight from the horse's mouth的意思是直接從當事人那里得到消息,而不是通過謠言。
The saying comes from the fact that people can tell the true age of a horse by looking at the teeth in its mouth.
這個說法來源于人們可以通過觀察馬嘴中的牙齒,就可以知道馬的年齡這一事實。
So if you get your information straight from the horse's mouth, you have the truth!
因此當你直接從當事人那里得到消息時,那么你就是得到了事實!
And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分鐘英語》欄目!