Welcome to English in a Minute!
歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》欄目!
We eat our dinner on dining tables.
我們在餐桌上吃飯。
We put our coffee on coffee tables. Turn the tables
我們把咖啡放在咖啡桌上。扭轉局勢
How is your friend Amanda doing?
你朋友阿曼達最近怎么樣啊?
Great, now.
現在很好。
What do you mean "now?"
“現在”指的是?
Well, last year a senior colleague tried to get her fired.
去年,一位有資歷的同事想開除她。
What happened?
那然后呢?
She turned the tables on him. Now, she's his boss.
她扭轉了局勢。現在,她是他的上司了。
To "turn the tables" means to reverse a situation to gain an advantage.
“turn the tables”指扭轉局面,得到有利條件。
Some say this expression comes from playing board games.
一些人認為,這個表達源于棋類游戲。
Centuries ago, if you were losing a game, you could turn the table or board game to switch your position with your opponent.
幾個世紀以前,如果你輸掉了一場游戲,你可以將桌子或棋類游戲翻轉,以改變你與對手的位置。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分鐘英語》欄目!