Notes
注意事項
In order to communicate richly detailed images of a kind that allow us to deal with large quantities of information,
為了以一種使我們能夠處理大量信息的方式傳播細節翔實的圖像,
we have to combine two technologies:First,computers and then transmission lines or networks.
必須將兩種技術結合在一起:首先是計算機,其次是傳輸線路或網絡。
Computers now have a rapidly growing capacity to transform data into recognizable patterns or images that allow us to use them handily.
計算機在將數據變換成我們可靈活運用的可識別的圖形或圖像方面的能力正在快速地增長。
In order to communicate those images,or those conglomerations of vast quantities of data among ourselves,
為了在我們之間傳輸這些圖像或大量數據塊,
we need networks capable of carrying those images to every hosue and business.
需要能將這些圖像傳送到每人家庭和部門的網絡。
We know how to do that technologically,
我們知道在技術上如何實現這一任務,
but in order to accomplish it we have to unscramble the legal,regulatory and financial problems
但為了完成它,我們還必須弄清楚法律上、規章和財政上的問題。
that have thus far threatened our ability to complete such a network.
這些問題迄今仍是我們實現這一網絡任務的障礙。
we are already using it to communicate in ways that enrich and even save our lives.
我們已經在使用網絡通信豐富乃至拯救生活。
All of these application will enhance the quality of life and spur economic growth.
所有這些應用提高了生活質量,促進了經濟的發民展。
Over half of the U.S.work force is now in jobs that are information based.
在美國半數以上的人在從事以信息為基礎的工作。
The telecommunication and information sector of the U.S.economy now accounts for 12 per cent of the Gross Domestic Product,
美國的經濟中,電信及信息方面占國民總值的12%,
and is growing much faster than any other sector of our economy.
并且其增長速度比其它任何經濟部門都快。
Last year the revenues in this sector exceeded 700 billion dollars.
去年這方面的稅收已超過七千億美元。
We exported over 48 billion dollars of telecommunications equipment ablone.
僅電信設備口即達480億美元。
Today,more than ever,businesses run on information.
當今以至于今后,行業運作更依賴于信息。
A fast,flexible information network is as essential to manufacturing as steel and plastic.
快速、靈活的信息網絡對于加工業,如鋼鐵和塑料是極其重要的。
If we do not move decisively to ensure that America has the information infrastructure we need,every business and consumer in America will suffer...
如果我們不果斷地設法保證美國所需要的信息基礎設施,每個行業和用戶都將遭受。
We must first udnerstand how the information market place will operate.
我們首先應該知識信息市場如何工作。