Finn: Hello, I'm Finn and we're presenting today's The English We Speak on horseback. I'm joined by…Sorry about that_ by Feifei…
芬:大家好,我是芬。今天我們所說的英語將要在馬背上為大家呈現。和我一起的是...不好意思,菲菲...
Feifei: Hello. Yes, we're taking a horse-riding holiday in the beautiful mountains of Wales.
菲菲:大家好。是的,我們正在威爾士的美麗山坡上享受騎馬的假日。
Finn: Isn't it glorious?
芬:這難道不美妙嗎?
Feifei: Beautiful. A million miles away from London.
菲菲:太美了。遠離倫敦百米。
Finn: Eh, talking about London – you know our friend Mark, did you hear his news?
芬:額,說起倫敦,你知道我們的朋友馬克,你聽說他的新聞了嗎?
Feifei: No, what happened?
菲菲:沒有,發生了什么?
Finn: Great news for him. He sold his ice-cream delivery company.
芬:對他來說是好消息。他賣了他的冰激凌外賣公司。
Feifei: Wow!
菲菲:哇!
Finn: And he made 500,000 pound.
芬:而且他賺了50萬英鎊。
Feifei: Really? That's great news. Where did you hear that?
菲菲:真的嗎?這真是極好的新聞,你從哪聽說的?
Finn: Straight from the horse's mouth.
芬:直接從他嘴里。
Feifei: Eh – from our horse? Our horse told you about Mark?
菲菲:額,從馬的嘴里?我們的馬告訴你馬克的事?
Finn: No, straight from the horse's mouth means...
芬:不,直接從馬嘴里意思是...
Feifei: I know what it means, just kidding! Straight from the horse's mouth means directly from the source of the news or information – so in this case our friend Mark told Finn himself about the ice-cream business. Right, Finn?
菲菲:我知道它的意思,我在開玩笑!直接從馬的嘴里意思是直接從新聞或信息的來源獲得。所以在這里我們的朋友馬克自己告訴了芬關于他冰激凌公司的事。對嗎,芬?
Finn: Absolutely. Listen to these examples:
芬:當然。聽聽這些例子吧:
A: Our university is going to start teaching courses in oceanography.
A:我們學校將要開設海洋學方面的課程了。
B: Really? How do you know that?
B:真的嗎?你怎么知道的?
A: Straight from the horse's mouth – the head of the university told me.
A:直接從馬嘴里知道的,學校的校長告訴我了。
A: Are you sure Michael is coming tomorrow? I haven't seen him for ages.
A:你確定邁克爾明天要來嗎?我好久沒有見他了。
B: Yes, straight from the horse's mouth. He phoned me yesterday to tell me!
B:是的,直接從馬嘴里得知的。他昨天打電話告訴我了。
Feifei: Anyway, what's Mark going to do next?
菲菲:不論如何,馬克接下來打算怎么辦?
Finn: Apparently he's starting a new ice-cream business – with lots of crazy flavours.
芬:很明顯他要新開一個冰激凌公司,擁有超級多的瘋狂口味。
Feifei: Like what?
菲菲:比如?
Finn: Grass-flavoured ice-cream.
芬:青草味的冰激凌。
Feifei: Really?
菲菲:真的嗎?
Finn: Sure - straight from the…
芬:當然了,直接從...
Feifei: Horse's mouth! Well, I think our horse friend might enjoy grass-flavoured ice-cream, but I'm not so sure myself. Anyway do check out bbclearningenglish.com for more phrases.
菲菲:馬嘴里得到!好吧,我覺得我們的馬朋友可能會喜歡青草味的冰激凌,但是我就不一定了。不管怎樣,一定要查看bbclearningenglish.com來獲取更多的俚語。
Finn: Bye. Giddy up.
芬:再見。駕!