Hello, I'm Jeff Anderson from Coventry, England.
大家好,我是杰夫·安德森,來自英國考文垂。
And in today's program, I'd like to share with you a special kind of English culture—the football.
在今天的節目中,我想和大家分享一種特殊的英國文化——足球。
A lot of people in England are crazy about football.
很多英國人對足球很狂熱。
During the football season, whenever there is a big match, all the flags for local football teams,
在足球賽季,只要有大型比賽,所有當地足球隊的旗幟,
such as Liverpool and Newcastle are hung outside every window or even spread proudly on T-shirts or scarves.
如利物浦和紐卡斯爾,都會懸掛在每扇窗戶外,甚至自豪地飄揚在T恤或者圍巾上。
There is an atmosphere of excitement in the air.
空氣中彌漫著興奮的氣氛。
Groups of young men crowd into dark packed pubs, staring at television screens.
一群又一群的年輕人擠進昏暗擁擠的酒吧,盯著電視屏幕。
Of course, they are covered head to toe in the colors of their team.
當然,他們從頭到腳都是他們支持的球隊的顏色。
They shout and scream in sadness when their team loses a goal or with joy when there is a moment of success.
當他們的球隊輸了一個球時,他們會悲傷地大喊大叫,當他們的球隊贏球的那一刻,他們會高興地歡呼尖叫。
You do not have to be a fan of football to get caught up in the excitement, as far as victories are concerned.
就勝利而言,你不必成為一個足球迷,也能沉浸在興奮之中。
England had its big moment in 1966 in Wimbledon Stadium.
1966年,英格蘭在溫布爾登體育場迎來了輝煌時刻。
The World Cup victory is in the hearts and minds of all football fans.
世界杯的勝利在所有足球迷的心中。
Now, whenever England is playing a big match, red and white covers every inch of every pub, a symbol of hope一the English flag.
現在,每當英格蘭有大型比賽,紅色和白色會覆蓋每個酒吧的每個角落,這是一種希望的象征——英國的國旗。
While football has never been something I'm particularly interested in.
然而足球從來都不是我特別感興趣的東西。
For years, I've had to pretend excitement and pick a team to support.
多年來,我不得不假裝很興奮并選一支球隊來支持。
You cannot say you don't like or do not follow football in England,
在英格蘭你不能說你不喜歡或不支持足球,
as often this will lead to a long dialogue in which someone will begin telling you why you should support their team.
這通常會導致很長一段對話,有人會開始告訴你為什么你應該支持他們的球隊。