A part of her hollered with laughter, sang: "You stupid boy, you stupid boy, I can see that, can't I?
她內心深處大笑地喊著:“你這個傻子,你這個傻子,難道我看不見嗎?”
She said, "It looks nice." She said the wrong thing and her face felt hot and she made herself look away so that she would not know his reaction. It was true though, he did look nice; he looked decent now.
她說:“這樣很好。”她又說錯話了,臉上感覺很燙,她把臉轉過去,這樣就不會看到他的反應。但是他真的看起來很好;他看起來很得體。
She should have said to Bryan, when they first held their coffee mugs in their hands and were searching for an empty table, "Let's sit with Asafa and the others." Mistakes follow mistakes. Across the cafeteria, the Turkish girl saw them together and raised her perfect eyebrows. Badr met Shadia's eyes and quickly looked away. Shadia looked at Bryan and he was different, different without the earring and the ponytail, transformed in some way. Maybe the boys who smashed Badr's windows looked like Bryan, but with fiercer eyes, no glasses. She must push him away her. She must make him dislike her.
當他們拿著咖啡杯找空位子的時候,她本可以對萊恩說,“我們和阿薩法還有其他人坐在一起吧。”一個錯誤接著一個錯誤。經過咖啡廳時,那個土耳其女孩看到他們在一起,揚了揚她那漂亮的眉毛。巴德爾與莎迪雅眼神接觸,很快就轉移了目光。迪雅看著布萊恩,沒有了耳環和馬尾辮,他變得很不一樣。可能那些打碎巴德爾玻璃的男孩就像布萊恩一樣,但是他們有兇狠的眼神,不戴眼鏡。她必須要把他從她身邊趕走,她要讓他不喜歡她。
He asked her where she came from and when she replied, he said, "Where's that?"
他問她從哪里來,她回答以后,他說,“那又是在哪里?”
Africa, with sarcasm. "Do you know where that is?"
“非洲,”她帶著諷刺說。“你知道它在哪嗎?”
His nose and cheeks under the rims of his glasses went red. Good, she thought, good. He will leave me now in peace.
他的鼻子和眼鏡下面的面頰變紅了。很好,她想,太好了,他很快就會讓我清凈了。
He said, "Ah know Sudan is in Africa I meant where exactly in Africa."
他說:“我知道蘇丹在非洲,我的意思是非洲的具體位置。”
Northeast, south of Egypt Where are you from?
“東北部,在埃及的南部,你來自于哪?”
Peterhead. it's north of here. By the sea.
“彼得黑德,愛丁堡的北部,靠近海邊。”
"your father works in Peterhead?"
“你爸爸在彼得黑德工作嗎?”
"Aye, he does."
“是的。”
She had grown up listening to the proper English of the BBC World Service only to come to Britain and find people saying "yes" like it was said back home in Arabic: "aye."
她從小是聽英國廣播公司國際頻道的標準英語長大的,不料到了英國卻發現人們說“yes”時跟家鄉人用阿拉伯語說“aye”的發音很相似。
"What does he do, your father?"
“你爸爸是做什么的?”
He looked surprised. "Ma dad's a joiner."
他看起來很驚訝。“我爸爸是一名工匠。”
Fareed hired people like that to work on the house. Ordered them about.
法瑞德就是雇傭像他爸爸這樣的人在家里干活。對他們下命令。
"And your mother?" she asked.
“那你媽媽呢?”她又問。
He paused a little, stirred sugar in his coffee with a plastic spoon. "She's a lollipop lady."
他停了一會,用塑料勺攪拌咖啡里面的糖。“她是賣棒棒糖的。”
Shadia smirked into her coffee, took a sip.
莎迪雅得意地笑了,然后了一口咖啡。
My father, she said proudly, "is doctor, a specialist." Her father was a gynaecologist. The woman who was now his wife had been one of his patients.
“我父親,”她驕傲地說,“是一名醫生,一名專家。”她爸爸是一名婦科專家。他現在的妻子就曾經是他的病人。