We flushed a covey of quail under a high clay bank with overhanging brush and I killed two as they went out of sight over the top of the bank. Some of the covey lit in trees, but most of them scattered into brush piles and it was necessary to jump on the ice-coated mounds of brush several times before they would flush. Coming out while you were poised unsteadily on the icy, springy brush they made difficult shooting and I killed two, missed five, and started back pleased to have found a covey close to the house and happy there were so many left to find on another day.
高高的土堤上長著倒垂下來的灌木叢,我們從那下面攆起了一群鵪鶉。當它們快要從堤岸上消失時,我擊落了兩只。有幾只鵪鶉停落在樹上,但大部分飛散了,鉆進了灌木叢。你得在這些被冰裹著的樹叢上跳上好幾下,才能把它們驚起。當你在這些既滑又有彈性的樹叢上搖搖晃晃尚未立穩之際,它們卻飛了出來,使你很難射中。我擊落了兩只,卻讓它們逃掉了五只。動身返回時,我感到很高興,因為我在離家不遠的地方發現了一群鵪鶉,而且還剩下許多,改日可再去搜尋獵取。
At the house they said the boy had refused to let anyone come into the room.
回到屋里,他們說孩子不讓任何人進入他的房間。
“You can't come in, he said. “You mustn't get what I have.”
“你們不能進來,”他說。“你們千萬不要傳染上我的病。”
I went up to him and found him in exactly the position I had left him, white-faced, but with the tops of his cheeks flushed by the fever, staring still, as he had stared, at the foot of the bed.
我來到他身邊,發現他仍像我離開時那樣躺著。他面色蒼白,但兩頰上部燒得發紅,眼睛依舊一動不動地盯著床的另一端。
I took his temperature.
我量了他的體溫。
“What is it?”
“多少?”
“Something like a hundred,” I said. It was one hundred and two and four tenths.
“大約100,”我說。實際上是102度4分。
“It was a hundred and two,” he said.
“原先是102度,”他說。
“Who said so?”
“誰說的?”
“The doctor.”
“醫生。”
“Your temperature is all right,” I said. “It's nothing to worry about.”
“你的體溫沒啥問題,”我說,“用不著擔心。”
“I don't worry,” he said, “but I can't keep from thinking.”
“我不擔心,”他說,“但是我不能不想。”
“Don't think,” I said. “Just take it easy.”
“不要想,”我說。“放心好了。”
“I'm taking it easy,” he said and looked straight ahead. He was evidently holding tight onto himself about something.
“我沒有什么不放心的,”他說著,眼睛直盯著前方。顯然,他有什么心事,但在盡力控制著自己。
“Take this with water.”
“將這個用水吞下。”
“Do you think it will do any good?”
“你看這有用嗎?”
“Of course it will.”
“當然有用。”