Do You Remember What You Were Doing?
你還記得你當時正在做什么嗎?
People often remember what they were doing when they heard the news of important events in history.
當人們聽到歷史上重大新聞事件的時候,他們總能記住那時候他們正在做什么。
In America, for example, many people remember what they were doing on April 4, 1968. This was an important event in American history.
比如在美國,許多人們都記得在1968年4月4日那天他們正在做什么。這是美國歷史上的一件重大事件。
On this day, Dr. Martin Luther King was killed. Although some people may not remember who killed him,
這一天,馬丁·路德·金博士被刺殺。雖然有些人或許記不清是誰刺殺了他,
they remember what they were doing when they heard the news.
但是他們記得當聽到這條新聞時他們正在做什么。
Robert Allen is now over 50, but he was a school pupil at that time.
羅伯特·艾倫已經50多歲了,但是那時候他還是一個學生。
"I was at home with my parents," Robert remembers. "We were eating dinner in the kitchen when we heard the news on the radio.
“我和父母正在家里,”羅伯特回憶道,“我們正在廚房吃晚飯,收音機就播放了這條新聞。
The news reporter said, 'Dr. King died just 10 minutes ago.' My parents were completely shocked!
新聞是這樣說的,‘金博士就在10分鐘前被刺殺’。我的父母當時完全震驚了!
My parents did not talk after that, and we finished the rest of our dinner in silence."
之后他們一句話都沒有說,我們靜靜地吃完了剩下的晚餐。”
More recently, most Americans remember what they were doing when the World Trade Center in New York was taken down by terrorists.
而最近,很多美國人都記得當世貿中心被恐怖分子摧毀的時候他們正在干什么。
Even the date - September 11, 2001 - has meaning to most Americans.
甚至2001年9月11日這個日期對很多美國人來說都意義非凡。
This was a day Kate Smith will never forget. She remembers working in her office neat the two towers.
這是凱特·史密斯永遠無法忘記的一天。她記得當時她在雙塔附近的辦公室里工作。
"My friend shouted that a plane just hit the World Trade Center!
“我的朋友大聲驚呼道,一架飛機撞上世貿大樓!
I didn't believe him at first, but then I looked out the window and realized that it was true.
我起初并不相信,但是當我透過窗戶往外看的時候,我才意識到這是真的。
I was so scared that I could hardly think clearly after that."
我當時非常害怕,以至于后來發生了什么我都記不清了。”