so-so 一般般
"How are you doing?"最近怎么樣?
"Just so-so."一般般。
chit-chat=small talk or unimportant conversation 閑聊
He asked us to stop our chit-chat and get on with our work.
他讓我們停止閑聊,繼續工作。
knick-knack 小飾物,小玩意兒
She’s got a lot of knick-knacks – I’m always afraid I’m going to break one.
她有這么多的小玩意兒,我真擔心不小心打壞哪個。
ship-shape = everything in its right place 整齊的,井然有序的
I want to leave the place ship-shape when we go on holiday.
我希望度假期間這里能保持整齊。
flip-flops = rubber sandals with a thong that goes between your big and second toe 人字拖
I lived in my flip-flops when I was staying on the beach.
在海灘上我整天穿人字拖。
zig-zag = diagonally 對角地,呈Z字形
He lost control of the car and it zig-zagged across the road.
車子失去了控制,開到了路的斜對面。
ding-dong = an argument 爭吵
They’ve had a bit of a ding-dong and they’re not talking to each other at the moment.
他們之間發生了小爭執,這會兒誰也不跟誰說話了。
see-saw 蹺蹺板,比喻像蹺蹺板一樣“上下起伏”。
The English pound has see-sawed against the American dollar for the last two weeks.
在過去的兩周里英鎊和美元像玩蹺蹺板一樣一上一下,起伏不定。
n. 橡膠,橡皮,橡膠制品
adj. 橡膠的