I probably throw away my own weight in garbage each month.
我可能每個月要扔掉相當于自己體重的垃圾。
That's the average for an American city dweller.
這是一個美國城市居民的平均水平。
Urbanites like me create roughly twice as much trash as our rural counterparts.
像我這樣的城市居民制造的垃圾是我們的農村同行的大約兩倍。
We city folk the world over produce three million metric tons of garbage each day.
世界各地的城市居民每天產生約300萬噸垃圾。
And in the next decade or so, the amount of garbage worldwide could double.
而在接下來10年左右的時間里,全世界的垃圾數量可能會翻番。
That's partly because more and more of us are living in cities-and there are more and more of us around.
這部分是由于越來越多的人生活在城市,而且我們周圍真是越來越人滿為患。
In order not to live amidst ever higher landfills like in WALL-E, people will have to waste less.
為了不生活在像影片瓦力中高高的垃圾填埋場里,人們將不得不減少浪費。
This can be done: The average Japanese urbanite makes just a third the trash produced by the average American, like yours truly.
這是可以做到的:平均日本都市人產生的垃圾只有像我這樣美國人三分之一。
We'll all have to turn Japanese if the world is to reach so-called “peak waste” before 2100.
如果全世界在2100年之前想要達到所謂的“最大垃圾量”目標,我們就必須效仿日本人。
Peak waste refers to some highest ever amount of garbage produced daily, which then, it's hoped, begins to fall.
最大垃圾量指的是每天產生垃圾數量達到有史以來最高值,然后,只能寄希望于這個數值開始下降。
On current pace, garbage production could rise beyond 11 million metric tons per day by the end of this century.
按照我們當前的速度, 本世紀末的垃圾產量有可能超過每天1100萬噸。
If we haven't peaked by then, we could be living in garbage.
如果那時我們還沒有達到峰值,我們就可能生活在垃圾中。