Sam had almost forgotten about the wildlings, so much had happened since.
發生這么多事,他幾乎忘記了野人。
“The children of the forest used dragonglass blades,” he said.
“森林之子使用龍晶刀劍,”他道,
“They’d know where to find obsidian.”
“他們知道上哪兒找黑曜石。”
“The children of the forest are all dead,” said Mormont.
“森林之子死光了,”莫爾蒙暴躁地說,
“The First Men killed half of them with bronze blades, and the Andals finished the job with iron.
“先民們用銅劍屠殺,安達爾人用鐵劍接著干。
Why a glass dagger should—”
龍晶匕首怎么會——”
The Old Bear broke off as Craster emerged from between the deerhide flaps of his door.
卡斯特從鹿皮門后鉆出來,熊老頓時住口。
The wildling smiled, revealing a mouth of brown rotten teeth.
野人微笑著露出一口棕色爛牙。
“I have a son.”
“我得了個兒子。”
“Son,” cawed Mormont’s raven.
“兒子,”莫爾蒙的烏鴉嘶啞地叫道。
“Son, son, son.”
“兒子,兒子,兒子。”
The Lord Commander’s face was stiff.
總司令面無表情。
“I’m glad for you.”
“恭喜你。”
“Are you, now?
“哦,是嗎?
Me, I’ll be glad when you and yours are gone.
對我而言,你和你的人趕緊離開才是喜事。
Past time, I’m thinking.”
我想,是時候了。”
“As soon as our wounded are strong enough …”
“等我們的傷員恢復……”
"They're strong as they're like to get, old crow, and both of us know it.
“他們最多只能這樣,老烏鴉,我們彼此都很清楚。
Them that's dying, you know them too, cut their bloody throats and be done with it.
那些要死的,來個痛快,媽的,割開喉嚨就完了。
Or leave them, if you don't have the stomach, and I'll sort them out myself."
你受不了的話,把人扔下,我來解決也行。”
Lord Commander Mormont bristled.
莫爾蒙總司令火冒三丈。
"Thoren Smallwood claimed you were a friend to the Watch --"
“索倫·斯莫伍德向我保證你是守夜人的朋友——”
"Aye," said Craster.
“對,”卡斯特說,
"I gave you all I could spare, but winter's coming on, and now the girl's stuck me with another squalling mouth to feed."
“能給的我都已經給了,但冬天就要到來,現在那女孩又給我添了一張嗷嗷叫的嘴巴。”
"We could take him," someone squeaked.
“我們可以帶上他,”一個聲音尖聲道。
Craster's head turned.
卡斯特扭頭過來,
His eyes narrowed.
眼睛瞇成縫,
He spat on Sam's foot.
朝山姆腳邊啐了一口。
"What did you say, Slayer?"
“你說什么,殺手?”
Sam opened and closed his mouth.
山姆的嘴巴一張一合。
"I… I… I only meant… if you didn't want him… his mouth to feed… with winter coming on, we… we could take him, and…"
“我…我…我只是說…假如你不要他…喂不飽他…冬天就要到來,我們…我們可以帶他走,并且…”
"My son. My blood.
“他是我的兒子,我的骨肉。
You think I'd give him to you crows?"
你以為我會把他交給烏鴉?”
"I only thought…"
“我只是想…”
You have no sons, you expose them, Gilly said as much, you leave them in the woods,
你沒有兒子,你將他們統統遺棄,吉莉說你把他們留在樹林里,
that's why you have only wives here, and daughters who grow up to be wives.
這就是為什么你家只有老婆和將成為老婆的女兒。
"Be quiet, Sam," said Lord Commander Mormont.
“閉嘴,山姆,”莫爾蒙總司令道,
"You've said enough. Too much. Inside."
“你說得夠多了。太多了。進去。”
'M-my lord --
“大—大人—”
"Inside!"
“進去!”
Red-faced, Sam pushed through the deerhides, back into the gloom of the hall.
山姆漲紅了臉,推開鹿皮,回到陰暗的大廳。
Mormont followed.
莫爾蒙跟進來。
"How great a fool are you?"
“你到底有沒有腦子?”
the old man said within, his voice choked and angry.
老人壓低惱怒的嗓音,
"Even if Craster gave us the child, he'd be dead before we reached the Wall.
“即使卡斯特肯把孩子給我們,他也會在抵達長城前死去。
We need a newborn babe to care for near as much as we need more snow.
這么大雪,你叫我們怎么照顧新生兒,嗯?
Do you have milk to feed him in those big teats of yours?
你的大奶子可以喂他嗎?
Or did you mean to take the mother too?"
你打算把他母親也拐走嗎?”
"She wants to come," Sam said.
“她想離開,”山姆說,
"She begged me…"
“她求過我…”
Mormont raised a hand.
莫爾蒙舉起一只手。
"I will hear no more of this, Tarly.
“這事再也不要讓我聽到,塔利,
You've been told and told to stay well away from Craster's wives."
我說過,不許打卡斯特的老婆的主意。”
"She's his daughter," Sam said feebly.
“她是他女兒,”山姆無力地說。
"Go see to Barmen. Now.
“去照顧巴棱,快,
Before you make me wroth."
別把我惹火啰。”
"Yes, my lord."
“是,大人。”
Sam hurried off quivering.
山姆趕緊顫抖著跑開。
But when he reached the fire, it was only to find Giant pulling a fur cloak up over Barmen's head.
當他來到火盆邊,卻發現巨人正用毛皮斗篷蓋住巴棱的頭。
"He said he was cold," the small man said.
“他說他冷,”小個子道,
"I hope he's gone someplace warm, I do."
“我希望他去了一個暖和的地方,我真的希望。”
"His wound…" said Sam.
“他的傷…”山姆說。
"Bugger his wound."
“去他媽的傷。”
Dirk prodded the corpse with his foot.
短刃用腳捅捅尸體。
"His foot was hurt.
“他不過少了條腳,
I knew a man back in my village lost a foot.
我村里從前有個瘸子
He lived to nine-and-forty."
活到四十九歲咧。”
"The cold," said Sam.
“他冷,”山姆說,
"He was never warm."
“他說他很冷。”
"He was never fed," said Dirk.
“他沒吃東西,”短刃說,
"Not proper.
“沒吃好東西。
That bastard Craster starved him dead."
卡斯特那雜種把他給餓死了。”
Sam looked around anxiously, but Craster had not returned to the hall.
山姆不安地環顧四周,卡斯特沒有回來,
If he had, things might have grown ugly.
如果他回來了,情況也許會變得更令人不快。
The wildling hated bastards, though the rangers said he was baseborn himself, fathered on a wildling woman by some long-dead crow.
這野人憎恨私生子,盡管游騎兵們說他自己就是個野種,父親是只死了的烏鴉,母親是個女野人。