The Duke surgeon told us he used a different technique.
杜克外科醫生告訴我們,他使用了一種不同的方法。
It was lower risk, and it would spare Pete’s eyesight.
這樣做風險更低,而且不會損害皮特的視力。
If your doctor is irritated by your decision to seek a second opinion,
如果你的醫生對你尋求其他意見的決定感到惱怒,
as Pete’s local neurosurgeon seemed to be, it’s a red flag that perhaps he or she is not the right fit.
就像皮特當地的神經外科醫生那樣,那么這是一個危險的信號,可能他或她不是合適的人選。
Smart doctors won’t feel threatened or offended, says Robert Arnold, MD, chair of the University of Pittsburgh’s Institute for Doctor-Patient Communication.
匹茲堡大學醫患交流研究所所長、醫學博士羅伯特·阿諾德說,聰明的醫生不會覺得受到威脅或冒犯。
“They know that once you get that second opinion and come back, it’s way better,
他們知道,一旦你得到第二個意見,回來后情況就會好很多,
because you will both be on the same page about the best way to move forward,” he says.
因為你們在前進的最佳方式上意見一致,”他說。
To prepare for Pete’s appointment at Duke, I started reading up on meningiomas.
為了皮特到杜克大學醫學中心就診做準備,我開始閱讀腦膜瘤的相關資料。
I tried to stick to fact-based websites published by academic medical centers, such as Johns Hopkins, Harvard, and the Mayo Clinic.
我試著堅持使用學術醫療中心發布的基于事實的網站,比如約翰·霍普金斯、哈佛和梅奧診所。
I also looked for condition-specific websites, especially those staffed with medical professionals.
我還搜索了一些針對特定疾病的網站,尤其是那些配備了醫療專業人員的網站。

It may sound obvious, but being well prepared for appointments can help maximize what little time you have with your doctors
這聽起來似乎是顯而易見的,但做好預約的準備可以幫助你最大限度地利用與醫生在一起的有限時間,
and perhaps give them insights into your case they might not otherwise receive.
而且可能會給他們一些他們通常不會接受的關于你的情況的見解。
You should do your homework about your doctors too.
你也應該做關于你醫生的功課。
While they may believe they are unbiased, physicians are not immune to money or gifts
盡管醫生們可能認為自己是公正的,
(including meals or speaking fees) they receive from pharmaceutical or medical-device companies.
但他們也躲不開從制藥或醫療設備公司獲得的金錢或禮物(包括餐費或演講費)。
A ProPublica analysis found that doctors who take such payments are two to three times more likely to prescribe brand-name drugs compared with those who don’t.
據ProPublica公司的一項分析,拿這些報酬的醫生開名牌藥的可能性是不拿這些報酬的醫生的兩到三倍。
You can look up how much money your doctor has received (and from whom) on ProPublica’s Dollars for Docs site
你可以在ProPublica的金錢醫生網站(projects.propublica.org/docdollars)和聯邦政府的公開支付網站上(openpaymentsdata .cms.gov)
(projects.propublica.org/docdollars) and the federal government’s Open Payments site (openpaymentsdata .cms.gov).
查看你的醫生收了多少錢(以及從誰那里收了多少錢)。
If your doctor is listed, that doesn’t mean he or she has done anything wrong.
如果你的醫生在名單中,那并不意味著他或她做錯了什么。
But you may want to ask whether the medications you are taking are made by those companies
但你可能會問,你正在服用的藥物是否是這些公司生產的,
and whether there are any cheaper generic alternatives.
以及是否有更便宜的通用替代品。