"'You blackguard!' I shouted, beside myself with rage.
"'你這惡棍!'我氣得發狂地嚷了起來。
'You have destroyed it! You have dishonoured me forever! Where are the jewels which you have stolen?'
'你把它弄壞了!你讓我丟一輩子的人!你偷走的那幾塊寶石哪兒去了?'
'Stolen!' he cried.
'偷?!'他叫了起來。
'Yes, thief!' I roared, shaking him by the shoulder.
'是的,你這賊!'我吼叫著,搖撼著他的肩膀。
'There are none missing. There cannot be any missing,' said he.
'沒有丟掉什么,不可能丟掉什么的。'他說。
'There are three missing. And you know where they are.
'這里有三塊綠玉不見了。你是知道它們在哪里的。
Must I call you a liar as well as a thief? Did I not see you trying to tear off another piece?'
你要我不但說你是賊,而且還說你是騙子嗎?我不是看見你正在試著把另外一塊綠玉扳下來嗎?'

'You have called me names enough,' said he; 'I will not stand it any longer.
'你罵我罵夠了吧,'他說,'我再也忍受不下去了。
I shall not say another word about this business, since you have chosen to insult me.
既然你肆意侮辱我,這件事我就不愿再提一句。
I will leave your house in the morning and make my own way in the world.'
一早我就會離開你的屋子到別處去自己謀生。'
'You shall leave it in the hands of the police!' I cried, half-mad with grief and rage.
'你必定要落在警察手里!'我起急敗壞半瘋狂似地喊著。
'I shall have this matter probed to the bottom.'
'這件事我要追究到底!'
'You shall learn nothing from me,' said he with a passion such as I should not have thought was in his nature.
'你別想從我這里了解到任何情況。'我想不到他竟一反常態如此激動地說。
'If you choose to call the police, let the police find what they can.'
'如果你愿意叫警察,那么就讓警察去搜索好了!'"