The clinic gave me a brand-new Toyota Tundra like a month ago with only 100 miles on it.
差不多一個月前吧,診所給我配了一臺幾乎全新的豐田苔原,當時里程只有100英里(約160公里)。
Now it's at almost 10,000.
現在已經快1萬英里(約1.6萬公里)了。
People talk about grassroots—I mean, this is pure grassroots.
大家都在說基層——要我說,這才是真正的基層。
We're trying to work with people locally and help each other out.
我們正在努力與當地人互幫互助,與他們共進退。
PART OF WHAT PEOPLE appreciate is that they see me out there.
大家認可我也是因為他們親眼看到我到他們那兒去了。
They see me deliver firewood myself that I chopped.
看到我自己砍柴又自己給他們送過去。
I'm at their house at 10 o'clock at night when they called their case manager or therapist who works with the clinic
夜里10點,他們給診所那邊負責對接的專案經理或治療師打電話,跟他們說,“我們實在是需要吃的”的時候,
to say, “We really need some food.”
我就在他們旁邊。
It's a tough job.
這就是一份苦差事。
You go to these households where people are sick, and you can't help them, you can't touch them.
去到的那些家庭,要是有人病了,你也愛莫能助,連碰他們一下都不能。
Some of them are old and some of them are little kids, and all you can do is look through the window.
有些已經老了,有些還只是小孩子,你卻只能從窗戶外面看他們一眼。
You can just see a desperation in their eyes.
只能眼看著絕望鎖進他們的雙眼。
Sometimes people are just lonely.
有時,他們只是孤單了些。
Especially when they're so far out, they just want someone to sit and talk for a little bit.
尤其因為他們住的太偏遠,他們想要的不過就是有個人能坐下來陪他們說說話,僅此而已。
They used to see us as just this clinic.
過去,他們只會拿我們當診所的工作人員。
Now people know that we're more than that.
他們現在已經知道,我們可不是一般的工作人員。
They know that the clinic is there for them, for their well-being.
他們知道,診所是去幫他們的,是去給他們送健康送快樂的,
For them to be able to be seen for illness, for mental health, or if they're hungry or cold.
是去讓他們在疾病、在心理健康,又或是在饑餓、寒冷面前不再充當透明人的。
That tightness of the community is what's really come through.
這種社區緊密性才是我們真正的成就。
(Now that Utah is reopening) it feels like everything we're trying to preach is falling on deaf ears.
(如今,猶他州已經開始重啟)我們努力宣揚的這一切似乎都在慢慢變成耳旁風。
You can't stop people from coming onto the reservation.
你也沒辦法不讓大家來保留地。
It's disheartening.
這點還挺讓人難過的。
I understand why people want to open businesses.
我理解大家想復工復產的心情。
But this is a time where there's something that's smarter, faster than us: this virus.
問題是這次我們碰到的是比我們更聰明,動作也比我們更快的這個(新冠)病毒。
All we can do is focus on our part of the country and try our best to keep the virus from spreading.
我們能做的就是把工作重點放在我們這個地區,盡我們最大的努力阻止病毒的傳播。
Right now's a good time for people to really start working together.
而現在就是大家齊心協力的好時機。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。