CHAPTER XXX
第三十章
THE more I knew of the inmates of Moor House, the better I liked them.
我越了解沼澤居的人就越是喜歡他們。
In a few days I had so far recovered my health that I could sit up all day, and walk out sometimes.
不到幾天工夫,我的身體便很快地恢復,已經可以整天坐著,有時還能出去走走。
I could join with Diana and Mary in all their occupations;
我已能參加黛安娜和瑪麗的一切活動,
converse with them as much as they wished, and aid them when and where they would allow me.
她們愛談多久就談多久,什么時候,什么地方,只要她們允許,就去幫忙。
There was a reviving pleasure in this intercourse,
在這些交往中,有一種令人振奮的愉悅
of a kind now tasted by me for the first time-the pleasure arising from perfect congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles.
在我還是第一次體會到—一這種愉悅產生于趣味、情調和原則的融洽。
I liked to read what they liked to read:
我愛讀她們喜歡讀的書,
what they enjoyed, delighted me;
她們所欣賞的使我感到愉快,
what they approved, I reverenced.
她們所贊同的我也尊重。
They loved their sequestered home.
她們喜歡這個與世隔絕的家,
I, too, in the grey, small, antique structure,
我也在灰色、古老、小巧的建筑中找到了巨大而永久的魅力。
with its low roof, its latticed casements,
這里有低矮的屋頂、帶格子的窗戶、
its mouldering walls, its avenue of aged firs --
消蝕的小徑和古杉夾道的大路
all grown aslant under the stress of mountain winds;
強勁的山風使這些古杉都已傾斜。
its garden, dark with yew and holly --
還有長著紫杉和冬青而呈黑色的花園
and where no flowers but of the hardiest species would bloom --
這里除了頑強的花種,什么花都不開放。
found a charm both potent and permanent.
找到了一種既強大又永久的魅力。
They clung to the purple moors behind and around their dwelling --
她們眷戀住宅后面和周圍紫色的荒原
to the hollow vale into which the pebbly bridle-path leading from their gate descended,
眷戀凹陷的溪谷。一條鵝卵石筑成的馬道,從大門口由高而低通向那里,
and which wound between fern-banks first,
先在蔽樹叢生的兩岸之間蜿蜒著,
and then amongst a few of the wildest little pasture-fields that ever bordered a wilderness of heath,
隨后又經過與歐石南荒原交界的幾個最荒蕪的小牧場
or gave sustenance to a flock of grey moorland sheep,
一群灰色的荒原羊和苔蘚般面孔的羊羔,
with their little mossy-faced lambs:
都靠這些牧場來維持生命
-- they clung to this scene, I say, with a perfect enthusiasm of attachment.
她們熱情滿懷地眷戀著這番景色。
I could comprehend the feeling, and share both its strength and truth.
我能理解她們的感情,同她們一樣感受這個地方的力量與真諦,
I saw the fascination of the locality.
我看到了這—帶誘人的魅力