We were astounded by just how much, how much cliff there was to examine.
我們都很吃驚竟然要測定這么寬的崖壁。
The whole Permian extinction story seemed to be spread through tens of meters of cliff,
看起來這幾十米的崖壁應該包含二疊紀生物大滅絕的完整故事,
and the fossils that we could collect were showing us a beautiful detailed story
收集到的化石能講述更詳細的故事情節,
that was telling us a lot more than we'd known previously about the timing of what was going on at this time.
告訴我們先前不知道的關于這一時期的更多信息。
Even to the naked eye, one thing was blindingly obvious.
即使用肉眼觀察,有一點是顯而易見的。
The meteor theorists had got the timing wrong.
天體碰撞論在時間上大錯特錯。
The Greenland rock showed that the extinction had been a gradual event.
格陵蘭的巖層表明大滅絕是一個漸進的過程。
In fact, it appeared to drag on for tens of thousand of years.
事實上它顯然延續了數萬年。
We could see that the extinction wasn't occurring instantaneously,
我們看到大滅絕并不是突然發生的,
but in fact was spread over several, a certain amount of rock,
事實上它分布于好幾個巖層,
so we could see it was being spread over a certain amount of time.
可見它一定持續了較長的一段時間。