From less to more, I worked him up to considerable irritation;
我得寸進尺,惹得他很惱火,
then, after he had retired, in dudgeon, quite to the other end of the room,
隨后趁他怒悻悻地退到屋子另一頭的時候,
I got up, and saying, "I wish you good-night, sir,"
站起來說了聲“祝你晚安,先生,”
in my natural and wonted respectful manner, I slipped out by the side-door and got away.
像往常那樣自自然然、恭恭敬敬地,隨后便溜出邊門走掉了。
The system thus entered on, I pursued during the whole season of probation; and with the best success.
這方式開了一個頭,我便在整個觀察期堅持下來了,而且大獲成功。
He was kept, to be sure, rather cross and crusty;
當然他悻悻然有些發火,
but on the whole I could see he was excellently entertained,
但總的說來,我見他心情挺不錯,
and that a lamb-like submission and turtle-dove sensibility,
而綿羊般的順從,斑鳩似的多情,
while fostering his despotism more, would have pleased his judgment,
倒反而既會助長他的專橫,又不能象現在這樣取一悅他的理智,
satisfied his common-sense, and even suited his taste less.
滿足他的常識,甚至投合他的趣味。