But I want us to reflect a little bit again on negative emissions.
但是我想提醒大家再次對負排放進行反思。
Negative emissions should not be considered a silver bullet,
負排放不應該被當作是萬全之策,
but they may help us if we continue to stall at cutting down on CO2 pollution worldwide.
但是它們可以在實現真正減少全球二氧化碳排放前幫我們爭取一些時間。
But that's also why we have to be careful.
這也是為什么我們必須小心謹慎。
This approach is so alluring that it can even be risky,
這個方法是如此的誘人,甚至會產生負面效應,
as some may cling onto it as some kind of total solution to our climate crisis.
有些人過分依賴它,把它看作能徹底解決氣候危機的方案。
It may tempt people to continue to burn fossil fuels 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
它可以誘使人們每年365天,每天24小時,繼續燃燒化石燃料。
I argue that we should not see negative emissions as a replacement for stopping pollution,
我認為我們不應該把負排放當成中斷污染的替代品,
but rather, as an addition to an existing portfolio that includes everything,
相反的,應該把它當成現有的改善環境措施的一個附加品,
from increased energy efficiency to low-energy carbon to improved farming
從提高能源效率到低碳排放,再到優化農業,
will all collectively get us on a path to net-zero emissions one day.
總有一天,會讓我們走上一條零碳排放的道路。
A little bit of self-reflection: my husband is an emergency physician.
我還想談談自己的一點反思:我的丈夫是一位急診醫師。
And I find myself amazed by the lifesaving work that he and his colleagues do each and every day.
他和同事每天從事的救死扶傷的工作令我大為驚嘆。
Yet when I talk to them about my work on carbon capture, I find that they're equally amazed,
然而當我和他們談起我與碳捕獲相關的工作,他們也同樣表示了贊嘆,
and that's because combatting climate change by capturing carbon isn't just about saving a polar bear or a glacier.
因為通過捕獲碳來對抗氣候變化并不只是關于拯救北極熊或者防止冰川融化。
It's about saving human lives. A synthetic forest may not ever be as pretty as a real one,
這是為了拯救人類。人工森林可能沒有天然森林的美觀,
but it could just enable us to preserve not only the Amazon, but all of the people that we love and cherish,
但是它不僅僅讓我們保護有能力亞馬遜,還能保護所有我們所愛的和珍惜的人,
as well as all of our future generations and modern civilization. Thank you.
以及所有的子孫后代和現代文明。謝謝。