"My disposition is not so bad as you think: I am passionate, but not vindictive.
“我的脾性并不是象你想的那么壞,我易動感情,卻沒有報復心。
Many a time, as a little child, I should have been glad to love you if you would have let me;
小時候,有很多次,只要你允許,我很愿意愛你;
and I long earnestly to be reconciled to you now: kiss me, aunt."
現在我誠懇希望同你和好:親親我吧,舅媽。”
I approached my cheek to her lips: she would not touch it.
我把臉頰湊向她嘴唇。她不愿碰它。
She said I oppressed her by leaning over the bed, and again demanded water.
還說我倚在床上壓著她了,而且再次要水喝。
As I laid her down -- for I raised her and supported her on my arm while she drank
我讓她躺下時--因為我扶起她,讓她靠著我的胳膊喝水,
I covered her ice-cold and clammy hand with mine:
把手放在她冷冰冰,濕膩膩的手上。
the feeble fingers shrank from my touch -- the glazing eyes shunned my gaze.
她衰竭無力的手指縮了回去了--遲滯的眼睛避開了我的目光。
"Love me, then, or hate me, as you will," I said at last,
“那么,愛我也好,恨我也好,隨你便吧,”我最后說,
"you have my full and free forgiveness: ask now for God's, and be at peace."
“反正你已經徹底得到了我的寬恕。現在你去請求上帝的寬恕,安息吧。”
Poor, suffering woman! it was too late for her to make now the effort to change her habitual frame of mind:
可憐而痛苦的女人!現在再要努力改變她慣有的想法,已經為時太晚了:
living, she had ever hated me -- dying, she must hate me still.
活著的時候,她一直恨我--臨終的時候,她一定依然恨我。