I said nothing. I was afraid of occasioning some shock by declaring my identity.
我沒有吭聲,怕一說出我的身份會引起某種震驚。
"Yet," said she, I am afraid it is a mistake.
“可是,”她說,恐怕這是個錯覺。
My thoughts deceive me.
我的想法欺騙了我。
I wished to see Jane Eyre, and I fancy a likeness where none exists.
我很想看看簡·愛,我想像出跟她相似的地方,但實際并不存在。
Besides, in eight years she must be so changed.
況且八年當中她的變化一定很大。
I now gently assured her that I was the person she supposed and desired me to be.
這時我和氣地讓她放心,我就是她設想中的人。
And seeing that I was understood, and that her senses were quite collected,
見她明白我的意思,頭腦也還鎮靜,
I explained how Bessie had sent her husband to fetch me from Thornfield.
我便告訴她,貝茜如何派丈夫把我從桑菲爾德叫來。
"I am very ill, I know," she said ere long.
“我的病很重,這我知道,”沒有多久她說。
I was trying to turn myself a few minutes since, and find I cannot move a limb.
幾分鐘之前,我一直想翻身,卻發覺四肢都動彈不得。
It is as well I should ease my mind before I die.
也許我沒有死就該安下心來。
What we think little of in health, burdens us at such an hour as the present is to me.
健康時我們想得很少的事,在眼下這樣的時刻,卻成了我沉重的負擔。
Is the nurse here? or is there no one in the room but you?
護士在嗎?房間里除了你,沒有別人嗎?
I assured her we were alone.
我讓她放心只有我們兩個。
Well, I have twice done you a wrong which I regret now.
唉,我兩次做了對不起你的事,現在很懊悔。
One was in breaking the promise which I gave my husband to bring you up as my own child.
一次是違背了我向丈夫許下的,把你當作自己孩子撫養成人的諾言。
The other -- she stopped.
另一次--她停住了。
"After all, it is of no great importance, perhaps," she murmured to herself.
“也許這畢竟無關緊要。”她喃喃地自言自語說。
And then I may get better, and to humble myself so to her is painful.
那樣我也許會好過些,但是,向她低聲下氣實在使我痛苦。