Dialogue 1
Mark: Hi Jingjing, do you like my new shirt?
馬克: 嗨,京晶,你喜歡我的新襯衫嗎?
Jingjing: Oh, I see you're jumping on the Champion bandwagon.
京晶: 哦,看來你也趕上冠軍這個牌子的潮流了。
Mark: Huh? I just thought it was time for a new T-shirt. I didn't pay much attention to the brand.
馬克: 啊? 我只是覺得是時候該買件新襯衫了,并沒有太關注品牌。
Jingjing: Yeah. Sorry to bust your chops about it. It's just that everybody and their mum is wearing a Champion shirt this summer. Now that the fad has made its way into the knock off shops, few people will be willing to pay 300 yuan for a T-shirt with that brand.
京晶: 抱歉剛才說了些讓你困擾的話。只是今年夏天幾乎每個人都在穿冠軍牌的襯衫。但自從這個當下的流行進入山寨商店,就很少有人愿意花300元買一件這個品牌的襯衫了。
Mark: Wow, I didn't think about all that. But, now that you mention it, it does seem like every year there's a hot brand, and we see tons of people on the street sporting the same logo on their chests.
馬克: 我還真沒想到過這些。不過經你這么一說,好像確實每年都會有一個熱門品牌特別流行,在大街上總能看到很多人胸前炫著同樣的商標。
Jingjing: Right. It was Under Armor last year, and Paul Frank the year before. I still remember when everyone was wearing Kappa for a season or two.
京晶: 沒錯。去年是安德瑪,前年是大嘴猴。我還記得有一兩季每個人都在穿卡帕的衣服。
Mark: Hmm. I think it's cool to get into a brand along with everyone else. It's just kinda cheesy if you only buy the T-shirt each time, instead of trying out the things that make the brand famous.
馬克: 嗯哼。我覺得和大家一起追一個品牌還挺有趣的。但如果每次只是買件襯衫,而不去嘗試這個品牌的口碑產品,那就有點傻傻滴了。
Jingjing: I agree. That reminds me of the expression: been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
京晶: 我同意。這讓我想起了那個表達: 去過,經歷過,買過紀念T。
Mark: Yeah, why not just get the T-shirt? Anyway, what surprises me about the Champion fad is that it's not even a new brand. What was it that made the brand popular all of a sudden?
馬克: 是啊,為什么不只買襯衫呢? 不管怎么樣,讓我挺驚訝的是,冠軍甚至都不是一個新品牌。到底是什么讓這個品牌突然流行起來的?
Jingjing: I don't know, in this case. But what often happens is a celebrity promotes it and it becomes a popular brand.
京晶: 這個牌子怎么火的我不知道。但通常情況是經過某個名人的推廣,一個品牌就突然火起來了。
Mark: That might have been what made the Champion brand take off. I had a Champion shirt as a kid. So, it takes me back a bit to see so many people wearing them.
馬克: 這可能就是冠軍突然竄紅的原因。我小時候就有一件冠軍牌的襯衫,所以突然看到這么多人穿著它,還真喚起了我的回憶。
Jingjing: Including yourself.
京晶: 這些人也包括你自己。
Mark: Yeah. I inadvertently jumped on the bandwagon.
馬克: 是的,我也無意中趕了個時髦。
New words : 習語短語
bandwagon 時尚潮流
a group of people all following the same fad
Jump on bandwagon 趕潮流
bust your chops 捉弄人
tease someone, make fun of them
everybody and their mum is 人人都在做的事
an activity has become too popular
sport (v) 穿,展示,炫耀
wear, show off
cheesy (adj) 傻傻的
silly, disappointing
inadvertently (adv) 漫不經心地,非故意的,但有效的
not on purpose, but effective
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Mark, what are your thoughts about knock offs?
京晶: 馬克,你對山寨商品有什么看法?
Mark: You mean, like fake Champion shirts?
馬克: 你是說盜版冠軍襯衫這種?
Jingjing: Yeah, among other things.
京晶: 嗯,類似這樣的。
Mark: I don't have any moral aversion to it. I guess you just have to judge the quality for yourself in the shop when you're picking something out. Of course, if you're spending 10 times the usual price for a piece of clothing, because it's a prestigious brand, you can expect the quality to be excellent.
馬克: 我對此倒沒有什么道德層面上的反感。我覺得在商店里挑選東西的時候,只需要自己衡量商品的質量就可以了。當然,如果你花10倍價錢買一件衣服,因為它是名牌,你可以期待它有極好的品質。
Jingjing: Yeah, I've had a lot of unpleasant surprises with knock off stuff. With shirts and shoes, I insist on buying authentic items.
京晶: 是的,買到仿冒品確實把我雷到多次。襯衫和鞋子這類東西,我還是堅持買正品。
Mark: There are a lot of good, but relatively unknown sportswear brands. I'd try their shoes at least once. But yeah, knock off shoes usually find their way into the garbage after one or two wearings.
馬克: 其實還有很多不錯的運動品牌,只是相對不知名,我至少會嘗試一下他們的鞋。但是,確實,山寨的鞋子通常在穿了一兩次之后就會被扔進垃圾桶。
Jingjing: Hey, speaking of shirts, don't you love the misspelled brand names?
京晶: 嘿,說到山寨襯衫,你不覺得看到拼錯的商標很逗嗎?
Mark: Yeah, that's pretty funny, when it's all huge across the chest, but says Clavin Kein.
馬克: 嗯,是很有趣,尤其是商標很大充滿整個胸膛的時候,但上面的字母明顯是拼錯的,比如把凱文·克萊拼成凱萊文·克。
Jingjing: Or George Armani.
京晶: 或者把喬治·阿瑪尼拼成了佐治·阿瑪尼。(原商標應該是Giorgio Armani)
Mark: I haven't seen that one yet. Maybe the wearer was trying to be ironic.
馬克: 我還沒見過那個。也許穿衣服的人只是想表示諷刺吧。
Jingjing: It could be. And then there are the brands that borrow from big names without exactly copying. Sometimes they get the name wrong in a funny way.
京晶: 可能吧。還有一些品牌借鑒了大品牌的名字但沒有完全照搬。有時以一種很搞笑的方式理解錯了。
Mark: Hmm. Could you give me an example?
馬克: 你能給我舉個例子嗎?
Jingjing: Sure. You know Hugo Boss, right?
京晶: 當然。你知道Hugo Boss(雨果·博斯,英語意譯為“老板”)那個牌子吧?
Mark: Yeah.
馬克: 知道。
Jingjing: Well, in an outlet mall, I saw a department under the name Rich Boss.
京晶: 在一家名品折扣購物中心,我看到了一個叫“富老板”的店。
Mark: I guess that's an original name.
馬克: 我猜這是一個原創名字吧。
Jingjing: To top it off, the name was written out like the Dunhill logo, you know, with the tall letters.
京晶: 最搞笑的是,這家商標的書寫方式模仿的卻是登喜路那個牌子,字母寫得細細長長的。
Mark: That's a hoot!
馬克: 真逗!
New words : 習語短語
moral aversion 道德厭惡
thinking something is wrong and being afraid of doing it
prestigious brand 高端品牌
luxury brand, reliable and expensive
be ironic 諷刺的
do something to make a witty joke about what most people take for granted
To top it off... 更有甚者,最妙的是
Like “what's more...”, but best used when you've saved the funniest detail for the end of your story.