Here's how shape works in normal receptors.
這里展示的是形狀是如何對通常的感受器起作用的。
You have a molecule coming in, it gets into the protein, which is schematic here,
一個分子進來,進到蛋白質里,圖中所示意的就是蛋白質,
and it causes this thing to switch, to turn, to move in some way by binding in certain parts.
通過合并某些部分,它讓這個東西轉變、旋轉向某個方向移動起來。
And the attraction, the forces, between the molecule and the protein cause the motion. This is a shape-based idea.
分子和蛋白質之間的互相吸引和作用力造成了運動。這是基于形狀理論的想法。
Now, what's wrong with shape is summarized in this slide.
這張幻燈片總結了為什么形狀理論是錯誤的。
The way --I expect everybody to memorize these compounds.
這種方式--我希望每一個人把這些化合物都記住。
This is one page of work from a chemist's workbook, OK?
這是一個化學家工作手冊中的一頁。
Working for a fragrance company.
他為一家香水公司工作。
He's making 45 molecules, and he's looking for a sandalwood, something that smells of sandalwood.
他要制造45個分子,他正在尋找檀香料就是聞起來像檀香木的東西。
Because there's a lot of money in sandalwoods.
因為檀香木很貴。
And of these 45 molecules, only 4629 actually smells of sandalwood.
在這45個分子之中只有編號為4629的聞起來像檀香木。
And he puts an exclamation mark, OK?
于是他在上面標注了一個感嘆號。
This is an awful lot of work.
這個工作量很大。

This actually is roughly, in man-years of work, 200,000 dollars roughly, if you keep them on the low salaries with no benefits.
在低酬勞和沒有福利的條件下,這大概是一個人好幾年的工作量,大約需要20萬美金。
So this is a profoundly inefficient process.
這是一個效率極低的過程。
And my definition of a theory is, it's not just something that you teach people; it's labor saving.
我認為“理論”不僅是可以拿來教授別人的東西,同時也是節約勞動力的東西。
A theory is something that enables you to do less work.
一個理論可以使人們做更少的工作。
I love the idea of doing less work.
我喜歡少做工作這個想法。
So let me explain to you why -- a very simple fact that tells you why this shape theory really does not work very well.
讓我來解釋為什么,一個非常簡單的事實,它會告訴你們為什么形狀的理論并不成立。
This is cis-3-hexene-1-ol. It smells of cut grass.
這是順式-3-已烯-1-醇。聞起來像割下來的青草。
This is cis-3-hexene-1-thiol, and this smells of rotten eggs, OK?
這是順式-3-已烯-1-硫醇,聞起來像臭雞蛋。
Now, you will have noticed that vodka never smells of rotten eggs.
現在,你們一定已經意識到伏特加酒聞起來絕不像臭雞蛋。
If it does, you put the glass down, you go to a different bar.
如果聞起來像的話,你就把杯子放下去另外一家酒吧。
This is -- in other words, we never get the O-H -- we never mistake it for an S-H, OK?
這是--換句話說,我們絕對不會把S-H錯誤地認為是O-H。
Like, at no concentration, even pure, you know, if you smelt pure ethanol, it doesn't smell of rotten eggs.
無論是在什么樣的濃度甚至是純的情況下,如果你聞到純的乙醇,它聞起來絕對不像臭雞蛋。
Conversely, there is no concentration at which the sulfur compound will smell like vodka.
相反,無論在什么濃度下,硫化合物會聞起來都不會像伏特加酒。
It's very hard to explain this by molecular recognition.
用分子識別來解釋這個問題難度很大。
Now, I showed this to a physicist friend of mine who has a profound distaste for biology,
我把問題拿給我的一個物理學家朋友看,他一點也不喜歡生物,
and he says, "That's easy! The things are a different color!"
他說“這太簡單了!兩個東西的顏色不一樣?。 ?/p>