Dear A Moment of Science,
親愛的《科學一刻》欄目組,
I hate going to the dentist. In fact, I openly fear it.
我很討厭看牙醫。實際上,我感到很害怕。
Yet I've never actually had a really bad or painful experience with a dentist.
其實,我并沒有過看牙醫的糟糕或痛苦經歷。
So why do I fear it so much?
那為什么會對此感到恐懼呢?
You're certainly not alone.
有這種感受的不止你一個人。
Quaking in your boots at the mere thought of a dental check up-let alone having a cavity taken care of-is a time honored tradition.
一想到檢查牙齒,腿腳就哆嗦,更別說補牙洞了。這種感受由來已久。
And it doesn't necessarily derive from a bad dental experience.
害怕牙醫不一定是因為有過痛苦的經歷。
New research shows that fear of the dentist is often passed down from parents to their children.
新研究表明,對牙醫的恐懼感常常是由父母傳遞給孩子的。
Fathers are especially involved.
父親的反應尤其關鍵。
Previous studies found a link between parents' attitudes toward the dentist and kids' fear.
之前的研究表明,父母對牙醫的態度和孩子對看牙醫的恐懼感有關。
But the new study reveals that kids pay even closer attention to how their fathers react when the dentist is involved.
不過,現在有研究發現孩子會密切注意父親看牙醫時的反應。
譯文為可可英語翻譯,未經授權請勿轉載!