A couple months went by, and I had just forgotten all about it.
幾個月過去了,我全忘了有這么回事。
And I finally decided, oh gosh, I've got to go to the court and do this crazy case.
最后我決定,天哪,我得上庭去做這個案子。
And I got into my car and I was feeling really overwhelmed -- overwhelmed.
我跳上車,覺得很緊張--非常緊張。
And I got in my car and I went to this courthouse.
我上車開到法庭。
And I was thinking, this is going to be so difficult, so painful.
我在想,這將會是場硬仗,會很痛苦。
And I finally got out of the car and I started walking up to the courthouse.
最后我終于鉆出車子,開始往法庭走。
And as I was walking up the steps of this courthouse, there was an older black man who was the janitor in this courthouse.
當我上臺階時,有個上了年紀的黑人老伯,他是法院的清潔工。
When this man saw me, he came over to me and he said, "Who are you?"
他看見我,跑過來問:“你是誰?”
I said, "I'm a lawyer." He said, "You're a lawyer?" I said, "Yes, sir."
我說:“我是律師?!彼f:“你,是律師?”我說:“是的。先生。”
And this man came over to me and he hugged me. And he whispered in my ear.
這個老伯湊過來,給了我一個擁抱。他在我耳邊低語。
He said, "I'm so proud of you." And I have to tell you, it was energizing.
他說:“我真為你驕傲。”我得和大家承認,這可給了我一針強心劑。
It connected deeply with something in me about identity,
他的話提醒了我心深處我的自我定位,
about the capacity of every person to contribute to a community, to a perspective that is hopeful.
提醒了我每個人都應該對社會,對更好的前景做出的貢獻。