Now, back to the mole. Not that mole.
現在,回到摩爾,不是鼴鼠。
This mole. Yep, this number has a second name.
這個摩爾,沒錯,這個常數有另一個名字。
The mole. Chemists use the term mole to refer to the quantities that are at the magnitude of 602 sextillion.
摩爾,化學家使用這個術語來表示602乘以10的21次方這個數量。
This is known as a molar quantity.
就是大家知道的摩爾常數。
Atoms and molecules are so small, that chemists have bundled them into groups called moles.
原子和分子太小了,所以化學家將它們分成一群一群的,每一群就叫做一摩爾。
Moles are hard for students to understand because they have a hard time picturing the size of a mole, or of 602 sextillion.
摩爾對于學生是很難了解的,因為他們很難想象一摩爾的數量,或是602乘以10的21次方。
It's just too big to wrap our brains around.
它實在大到大腦難以理解。
Remember our 18.01 milliliters of water? Well, that's a mole of water.
記得剛剛說的18.01毫升的水嗎?那就是1摩爾的水。
But how much is that?
但是這有多少?
Exactly what does 602 sextillion look like?
602乘以10的21次方看起來像什么?
Maybe this'll help.
也許這個例子會有幫助。
Exchange the water particles for donuts.
用甜甜圈來代替水分子。
If you had a mole of donuts, they would cover the entire earth to a depth of eight kilometers, which is about five miles.
假如你有1摩爾的甜甜圈,它們會在整個地球表面堆高8公里,大約是5英里。
You really need a lot of coffee for that.
你需要很多咖啡來配。
If you had a mole of basketballs, you could create a new planet the size of the earth.
如果你有1摩爾的籃球,你可以制造和地球一樣大的星球。
If you received a mole of pennies on the day you were born and spent a million dollars a second until the day you died at the age of 100, you would still have more than 99.99% of your money in the bank.
如果你一出生時有1摩爾的錢,你每一秒花一百萬直到100歲時死的那一天,你還有99.99%以上的錢在銀行里。
OK. Now we sort of have an idea how large the mole is.
好了,現在我們大概對1摩爾有個概念了。
So how do we use it?
那么我們如何用它?
You might be surprised to know that chemists use it the same way you use pounds to buy grapes, deli meat, or eggs.
你也許會驚訝化學家使用它的方法,就如同你用磅來買葡萄、熟食肉類或雞蛋。
When you go to the grocery store, you don't go to the deli counter and ask for 43 slices of salami, you buy your salami by the pound.
當你到雜貨店時,你不會走到柜臺要43片臘腸,你會買幾磅的臘腸。
When you buy your eggs, you buy a dozen eggs.
當你買雞蛋時,你會買一打雞蛋。
When we hear the word dozen, we probably think of the number 12.
當我們聽到打這個字,我們會想到數字 12。
We also know that a pair is two, a baker's dozen is 13, a gross is 144, and a ream of paper is...anybody?
我們也知道一雙就是2,面包師父的一打是13,一籮是144,一令紙......誰知道?
A ream is 500.
一令紙是500張。
Well, a mole is really the same thing.
一摩爾也是一樣的。
For a chemist, a mole conjures up the number 6.02 times 10 to the 23rd, not a fuzzy little animal. The only difference is that the other quantities are more famili ar to us.
對化學家而言,1摩爾就是6.02乘以10的23次方,而不是毛絨絨的動物。唯一的差別是我們比較熟悉其他的計數單位。
So there you have it. The story of the mole, Avogadro, basketballs, and how to buy salami at the grocery store.
現在你知道了摩爾的故事、阿伏加德羅、籃球、還有去雜貨店怎么買臘腸了。