How do you know you're real?
你如何意識到自己的真實存在?
It's an obvious question until you try to answer it, but let's take it seriously.
這是個顯而易見的問題,但回答起來不容易,讓我們嚴肅地討論一下。
How do you really know you exist?
你如何才能真正意識到自己的存在?
In his "Meditations on First Philosophy," Rene Descartes tried to answer that very question,
勒內·笛卡爾在他的《第一哲學沉思集》中,試圖回答這個問題,
demolishing all his preconceived notions and opinions to begin again from the foundations.
他推翻了所有先入為主的概念,從根源上重新思考。
All his knowledge had come from his sensory perceptions of the world.
他所有的知識都來源于他的感官對這個世界的洞察。
Same as you, right?
你也是這樣,對嗎?
You know you're watching this video with your eyes, hearing it with your ears.
你知道自己在用眼睛看這個視頻,用你的耳朵聽它的聲音。
Your senses show you the world as it is.
你的感官告訴你這個世界是什么樣的。
They aren't deceiving you, but sometimes they do.
感覺器官并不會欺騙你,但有時候也會欺騙。
You might mistake a person far away for someone else, or you're sure you're about to catch a flyball, and it hits the ground in front of you.
從遠處看,你或許會把一個人當作另外一個人,或者你確定可以抓住飛來的棒球,可是它卻掉在地上。
But come on, right here and now, you know what's right in front of you is real.
但是不管怎樣,此時此刻,你知道面前的一切都是真實的。
Your eyes, your hands, your body: that's you.
你的眼睛、你的手、你的身體,組成了你。
Only crazy people would deny that, and you know you're not crazy.
只有瘋子才會否認這個事實,你知道自己不是瘋子。
Anyone who'd doubt that must be dreaming.
對這一點持懷疑態度的人一定是在做夢。
Oh no, what if you're dreaming? Dreams feel real.
噢對了,如果你真的是在做夢呢?夢給人真實的感覺。
You can believe you're swimming, flying or fighting off monsters with your bare hands, when your real body is lying in bed.
你覺得自己在游泳、在飛翔、在赤手空拳地和怪物搏斗,可你的身體依然躺在床上。
No, no, no. When you're awake, you know you're awake.
不不不,你在醒過來之后知道自己是清醒的。
Ah! But when you aren't, you don't know you aren't, so you can't prove you aren't dreaming.
可是,當你睡著的時候,你并不知道自己是睡著的,所以你并不能證明你現在不是在做夢。