Let not my love be call'd idolatry,
不要說我的愛只是對偶像的崇敬,
Nor my beloved as an idol show,
也不要把我的愛說成祭壇上的天神,
Since all alike my songs and praises be
盡管我所有的贊美歌千篇一律,
To one, of one, still such, and ever so.
唱之、頌之、今朝今日、來世來生,
Kind is my love to-day, to-morrow kind,
善良是我今日的愛,明日也如斯,
Still constant in a wondrous excellence;
有美輪妙質,越千古亦守恒。
Therefore my verse to constancy confined,
所以我的歌只歌唱堅貞不渝,

One thing expressing, leaves out difference.
長誦一個主題,哪怕千聲萬聲。
Fair, kind and true' is all my argument,"
美、善、真,淘盡我胸中詩句,
Fair, kind, and true' varying to other words;"
美、善、真,概括我全部的詩魂。
And in this change is my invention spent,
縱橫衍變,耗盡我壯采奇思,
Three themes in one, which wondrous scope affords.
三題合一,直令人神往心馳。
Fair, kind, and true,' have often lived alone,
美、善、其,從來獨立各擅其長,
Which three till now never kept seat in one.
只在今朝,喜見三長共體同彰。