Behaviors like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption also have a very recognizable odor.
像抽煙和過度飲酒這樣的行為也會產生一種非常明顯的氣味。
Regardless of cause, the bad smell almost always originates in the mouth
拋開原因不看,難聞的氣味幾乎總是在嘴巴里產生的,
and not the stomach or elsewhere in the body.
而不是胃或身體的其他部位。
But one of the biggest challenges lies in actually determining how our breath smells in the first place, and it's unclear why.
但是最大的挑戰之一在于,真正決定我們口氣是什么樣的,其原因至今不明。
It may be that we're too acclimatized to the smell inside our own mouths to judge it.
也許是因為我們對自己嘴巴里的味道太過熟悉,以至于無法判斷。

And methods like cupping your hands over your mouth,
像把雙手合攏放在嘴前對著哈氣,
or licking and smelling your wrist don't work perfectly either.
或者舔一下手腕然后聞一下味道這樣的方法也不是很有效。
One study showed that even when people do this,
一項研究顯示,即使在人們這么做的時候,
they tend to rate the smell subjectively according to how bad they thought it was going to be.
他們往往會根據自己覺得味道會怎么樣來主觀地判定口氣的難聞程度。
But there's one simple, if socially difficult way of finding out how your breath smells: just take a deep breath and ask a friend.
但是有一種方法能弄明白你有沒有口臭,雖然這種方法在社交上有些困難,但非常簡單,那就是:深呼吸然后問問你的朋友。