You didn't break it. It's just in a new position,
你沒有破壞它,只是讓它移到一個新的地方,
and that new position can be just as beautiful.
這新的地方也可以是一樣美麗。
Now, if you're no longer a traffic cop -- the problem with being a traffic cop is
現在,你不再是交警--交警管理交通的問題是
there can only be so many traffic cops in any one intersection, or the cars get confused. Right?
要么你得在每個十字路口都安排交警,要么就讓車輛犯糊涂。對吧?
But if your goal is no longer to direct the traffic,
然而,如果你的目標不再是指揮交通,
but maybe to count the cars that go by, then more eyeballs are better.
而是去數來往的車輛,那越多雙眼睛越好。
You can ask for help! If you ask for help, you get more done. And we really need help.
你可以找人幫忙!越多人幫忙,你可以完成更多的活。我們真的很需要幫忙。
Library of Congress: 17 million books, of which half are in English.
國會圖書館有一千七百萬本藏書,一半是英語,
If only one out of every 10 of those books had a word that's not in the dictionary in it,
假設其中每十本書有一個詞不在字典里,
that would be equivalent to more than two unabridged dictionaries.
那就相當于超過兩本非縮略版字典的詞匯量。
And I find an un-dictionaried word -- a word like "un-dictionaried," for example --
我發現沒收錄到字典里邊的詞(un-dictionaried)--以一個像“un-dictionaried”那樣的未收錄詞為例--
in almost every book I read. What about newspapers?
在我讀過的幾乎每一本書里都有。還有報紙呢?
Newspaper archive goes back to 1759, 58.1 million newspaper pages.
報紙藏品從1759年開始,共有五千八百一十萬個報紙頁面。
If only one in 100 of those pages had an un-dictionaried word on it, it would be an entire other OED.
只要每100頁報紙有一個沒有收錄的單詞,那就相當于一整本OED(牛津英語字典)了,
That's 500,000 more words. So that's a lot.
超過五十萬詞,那是很大的詞匯量。
And I'm not even talking about magazines. I'm not talking about blogs --
我還沒有說到雜志,博客——
and I find more new words on BoingBoing in a given week than I do Newsweek or Time.
一周內,我在 BoingBoing發現的新詞比新聞周刊或時代雜志還多。
There's a lot going on there. And I'm not even talking about polysemy,
那里正在創造出很多的新詞。這還沒說到一詞多義,
which is the greedy habit some words have of taking more than one meaning for themselves.
有些詞有貪心的習慣,自己有好幾個意思。