And Portland is not alone here.
波特蘭市在這件事上并不孤獨。
Forty percent of municipalities self-report dumping raw or partially treated sewage into our waterways.
40%的市政當局在自述匯報中指出曾傾倒未處理或僅部分處理的污水進入水網。
The other bummer going on here with our status quo is that half of all of your poop and pee is going to fertilize farmland.
另一件當下令人不悅的事是我們的排泄物們一半跑去灌溉農場了,
The other half is being incinerated or land-filled.
另一半則被火化或是填埋了。
And that's a bummer to me, because there are amazing nutrients in your daily doody.
我對此很失望,因為我們每天的便便當中其實含有驚人的養分。
It is comparable to pig manure; we're omnivores, they're omnivores.
與豬的糞便是類同的。我們是雜食動物,它們也是。
Think of your poo and pee as a health smoothie for a tree.
想像一下你的排泄物對于一棵樹來說就是一杯奶昔
The other bummer going on here is that we're quickly moving all the drugs we take into our waterways.
其實還有一件令人不悅的事,那就是我們正在迅速地把我們攝入體內的藥物轉入水網當中。
The average wastewater treatment plant can remove maybe half of the drugs that come in.
中等水平的廢水處理池只有能力移除廢水中的一半藥物。
The other half goes right out the other side.
另一半就心安理得的從另一側出去了。
Consider what a cocktail of pharmaceuticals -- hormones, steroids, Vicodin -- does to a fish, to a dog, to a child.
想一想由各種藥物成分,性激素、類固醇、維柯丁(一種止痛藥)構成的雞尾酒,會對一條魚,對一只狗,一個孩子造成怎樣的影響?
But this isn't just some problem that we need to contain.
但這個問題不單單只是它本身。
If we flip this around, we can create a resource that can solve so many of our other problems.
如果能夠翻過這一頁,我們就能找到一條途徑,它能幫我們解決許多別的問題。
And I want to get you comfortable with this idea,
我希望你們能夠接受這個想法。
so imagine the things I'm going to show you, these technologies, and this attitude that says,
設想一下我將要展示給你的東西,這些科技,還有這樣的態度:
"We're going to reuse this. Let's design to make it beautiful" -- as advanced potty training.
“我們將要拯救這一切。讓我們把它設計的更美吧”,致先進的如廁技術。
I think you're ready for it. I think we as a culture are ready for advanced potty training.
我以為你們已經做好心理準備了。我認為我們的文化已經為先進如廁技術做好準備。
And there are three great reasons to enroll today.
這其中有三個重要的理由。