When fate wronged me, I had not the wisdom to remain cool.
當命運虧待了我時,我沒有明智地保持冷靜。
I turned desperate; then I degenerated.
我開始絕望,隨后墜落了。
Now, when any vicious simpleton excites my disgust by his paltry ribaldry,
現在要是一個可惡的傻瓜用卑俗的下流話激起我的厭惡,
I cannot flatter myself that I am better than he.
我并不以為我的表現會比他好些。
I am forced to confess that he and I are on a level.
我不得不承認我與他彼此彼此而已。
I wish I had stood firm — God knows I do!
我真希望當初自己能不為所動 — 上帝知道我是這么希望的。
Dread remorse when you are tempted to err, Miss Eyre.
愛小姐,當你受到誘惑要做錯事的時候,你要視悔恨為畏途。
Remorse is the poison of life.
悔恨是生活的毒藥。
Repentance is said to be its cure, sir.
據說懺悔是治療的良藥,生先。
It is not its cure. Reformation may be its cure.
懺悔治不了它。悔改也許可以療救。
And I could reform — I have strength yet for that — if...
而我能悔改—我有力量這么做—如果...
But where is the use of thinking of it, hampered, burdened, cursed as I am?
不過既然我已經負荷沉重、步履艱難該受詛咒了,現在想這管什么用呢?

Besides, since happiness is irrevocably denied me,
既然我已被無可挽回地剝奪了幸福,
I have a right to get pleasure out of life, and I will get it, cost what it may.
那我就有權利從生活中獲得快樂。我一定要得到它,不管代價有多大。
Then you will degenerate still more, sir.
那你會進一步沉淪的,先生。
Possibly. Yet why should I, if I can get sweet, fresh pleasure?
可能如此。不過要是我能獲得新鮮甜蜜的歡樂,為什么我必定要沉淪呢?
And I may get it as sweet and fresh as the wild honey the bee gathers on the moor.
也許我所得到的,同蜜蜂在沼澤地上釀成的野蜂蜜一樣甜蜜,一樣新鮮。
It will sting — it will taste bitter, sir.
它會螯人的 —而且有苦味,先生。
How do you know? You never tried it.
你怎么知道?你從來沒有試過。
How very serious. How very solemn you look.
多嚴肅!你看上去多一本正經呀。
And you are as ignorant of the matter as this cameo head (taking one from the mantelpiece) .
而你對這種事情一無所知,跟這個浮雕頭像一模一樣(從壁爐上取了一個)!
You have no right to preach to me, you neophyte,
你無權對我說教,你這位新教士,
that have not passed the porch of life, and are absolutely unacquainted with its mysteries.
你還沒有步入生活之門,對內中的奧秘毫不知情。
I only remind you of your own words, sir.
我不過是提醒一下你自己的話,先生。
You said error brought remorse, and you pronounced remorse the poison of existence.
你說錯誤帶來悔恨,而你又說悔恨是生活的毒藥。
And who talks of error now?
現在誰說起錯誤啦?
I scarcely think the notion that flittered across my brain was an error.
我并不以為,剛才閃過我腦際的想法是個錯誤。
I believe it was an inspiration rather than a temptation.
我相信這是一種靈感,而不是一種誘惑,
It was very genial, very soothing. I know that.
它非常親切,非常令人欣慰。這我清楚。
Here it comes again! It is no devil, I assure you.
瞧,它又現形了。我敢肯定,它不是魔鬼。
Or if it be, it has put on the robes of an angel of light.
或者要真是的話,它披著光明天使的外衣。
I think I must admit so fair a guest when it asks entrance to my heart.
我認為這樣一位美麗的賓客要求進入我心扉的時候,我應當允許她進來。
Distrust it, sir; it is not a true angel.
別相信它,先生。它不是一個真正的天使