So they spread out all the census data,
他們分析了所有的人口統計數據,
and what they found, the guy described to me as a shocker,
他們發現,他的描述對我而言是一個震驚,
which is that in 1,997 out of 2,000 communities,
在一九九七年,兩千個社區中,
women, young women, were making more money than young men.
女性,年輕女性比年輕男性掙得更多。
So here you have a generation of young women who grow up thinking of themselves
這一代的年輕女性在“她們是
as being more powerful earners than the young men around them.
比其周圍年輕男性更強大的掙錢者”的想法中成長。
Now, I've just laid out the picture for you,
現在,我僅僅將這些畫面展示給你,
but I still haven't explained to you why this is happening.
我還未向你們解釋為什么這些事情會發生。
And in a moment, I'm going to show you a graph,
過一會,我將向你們展示一個圖表,
and what you'll see on this graph -- it begins in 1973,
你可以從這個圖表中看到--從一九七三年開始,
just before women start flooding the workforce, and it brings us up to our current day.
在女性充斥勞動力市場之前轉移到今天。
And basically what you'll see is what economists talk about as the polarization of the economy.
基本上你看到的就是經濟學家談論的經濟兩極分化。
Now what does that mean?
這表明了什么呢?
It means that the economy is dividing into high-skill, high-wage jobs and low-skill, low-wage jobs
這表明經濟被分為高技術、高薪工作和低技術、低薪工作--
and that the middle, the middle-skill jobs, and the middle-earning jobs, are starting to drop out of the economy.
在這中間,中等技術工作,中薪工作正愈消亡。
This has been going on for 40 years now.
這已經持續發生了四十年。
But this process is affecting men very differently than it's affecting women.
但是這個過程對男人和女人的影響是十分不同的。
You'll see the women in red, and you'll see the men in blue.
紅色的是女人,藍色的是男人。
You'll watch them both drop out of the middle class,
你可以看到他們都從中產階級中脫離出來,
but see what happens to women and see what happens to men. There we go.
但是看看女人發生了什么,男人又發生了什么變化。這就對了。
So watch that. You see them both drop out of the middle class.
看那個,你看到他們都從中產階級中脫離出來。
Watch what happens to the women. Watch what happens to the men.
看看女人發生了什么變化,男人又發生了什么變化。
The men sort of stagnate there, while the women zoom up in those high-skill jobs.
男人在這里似乎停滯了,但女人急漲至高技術工作中。
So what's that about?
到底怎么回事?