1、benefit
好處;益處;裨益
Each family farms individually and reaps the benefit of its labor.
各家經營各自的農場,收獲各自的勞動成果。
I'm a great believer in the benefits of this form of therapy.
我堅信這種治療形式非常有益。
(對…有)好處,幫助
This could now work to Albania's benefit.
這種情況目前對阿爾巴尼亞有利。
I hope what I have written will be of benefit to someone else who may feel the same way.
我希望我所寫的內容能對其他和我有同感的人有所裨益。
有利條件;優勢
Steve didn't have the benefit of a formal college education.
史蒂夫沒能接受正規的大學教育。
With the benefit of hindsight, it is clear we ought to have done more.
事后看來,我們顯然本該做得更多。
2、go on
繼續做
Unemployment is likely to go on rising this year.
今年的失業人數可能會繼續上升。
I'm all right here. Go on with your work.
我這里很好,你繼續工作吧。
進行;發生
While this conversation was going on, I was listening with earnest attention.
這場對話進行的時候,我聚精會神地聽著。
I don't know what's going on.
我不知道發生了什么事。
(做完某事后)進而,接著(做另一件事)
Alliss retired from golf in 1969 and went on to become a successful broadcaster.
阿利斯于1969年從高爾夫球界退役,繼而成為一名成功的節目主持人。
She went on to say that she had discussed it with the Canadian foreign minister.
她接著又說她已同加拿大外長就此進行了磋商。