2.When I Was One-and-Twenty
2.我二十一歲的時候
When I was one-and-twenty
我二十一歲的時候
I heard a wise man say,
聽到一位智者說:
"Give crowns and pounds and guineas
"寧獻王冠金銀,
But not your heart away;
勿濫奉情交心;
Give pearls away and rubies
寧贈珠寶珍稀,
But keep your fancy free."
勿丟幻想之翼"
But I was one-and-twenty,
可惜二十一歲的我
No use to talk to me.
對此充耳不聞。
When I was one-and-twenty
我二十一歲的時候
I heard him say again,
又聽智者說:
"The heart out of the bosom
"推心置腹的人,
Was never given in vain;
永遠不會徒然無所獲;
'Tis paid with sighs a plenty
它換來的是悠悠哀嘆
And sold for endless rue."
和無盡的悔恨"
And I am two-and-twenty,
我二十一歲的時候
And oh, 'tis true, 'tis true.
唉,這話千真萬確,萬確千真。