We have to beat that.
我們必須克服它。
We can do it because in space there are no aerodynamics.
我們能夠這樣做是因為太空里沒有空氣阻力。
We can go and use inflatable systems for almost everything.
我們幾乎總是能夠使用充氣系統。
This is an idea that, again, came out of Livermore back in 1989,with Dr. Lowell Wood's group.
這個設想又是出自1989年在利弗莫爾洛厄爾伍德教授領導的團隊。
And we can extend that now to just about everything.
我們現在可以把它擴展到幾乎每個其他領域。
Bob Bigelow currently has a test article in the orbit.
鮑勃比奇洛目前正在太空軌道上檢測一個這樣的裝置。
We can go much further.
我們可以更近一步。
We can build space tugs, orbiting platforms for holding cryogens and water.
我們可以建立太空拖船,裝載冷凍機和水的軌道平臺。
There's another thing.
還有另一件事情。
When you're coming back from the moon,
當你從月球回來時,
you have to deal with orbital mechanics.
軌道力學告訴我們。
It says you're moving 10,000 feet per second faster than you really want to be to get back to your gas station.
你需要減每秒10000英尺的速度慢到回加油站時所需的速度。
You got two choices.
你有兩個選擇。
You can burn rocket fuel to get there, or you can do something really incredible.
你可以燃燒火箭燃料,或者你可以做些很不可思議的事情。
You can dive into the stratosphere,
你可以扎入平流層,
and precisely dissipate that velocity, and come back out to the space station.
恰好抵消高速,再回到空間站。
It has never been done.
此舉從未有人做過。
It's risky and it's going to be one hell of a ride better than Disney.
這很冒險,會比迪士尼的過山車還驚險。
The traditional approach to space exploration has been that you carry all the fuel you need to get everybody back in case of an emergency.
傳統的太空探索方法是你載著所有所需燃料燃料足夠確保每個人安全往返并且能應對緊急狀況。
If you try to do that for the moon,
如果你試著為了登月這么做,
you're going to burn a billion dollars in fuel alone sending a crew out there.
送出一名宇航員光燃料就要花費十億美元。
But if you send a mining team there,
但是如果你派遣一支采礦小隊到那里,
without the return propellant, first.
前提是不帶返程燃料。
Did any of you guys hear the story of Cortez?
有人聽過科爾特茲的故事嗎?
This is not like that. I'm much more like Scotty.
這不像那個故事。我更像是司各特。
I like this equipment, you know, and I really value it so we're not going to burn the gear.
我喜歡推進劑,我真的很看重它,所以我們不準備燒掉它。
But, if you were truly bold you could get it there, manufacture it,
但是,如果你真的很大膽你可以在那里(月球上)得到并制造它,
and it would be the most dramatic demonstration that you could do something worthwhile off this planet that has ever been done.
而且這會變成最激動人心的演示證明你離開地球也能做一些前所未有的有價值的事情。
There's a myth that you can't do anything in space for less than a trillion dollars and 20 years.
人們都說沒有億萬美元和20年時間的話在太空里不可能做成任何事情。