From the entrance, this is nothing like a commercial cave.
從洞口看,這絕不像個商業旅游的山洞。
You're looking at Camp Two in a place called J2, not K2, but J2.
你看到的是二號營地,它搭在J2,不是K2(世界第二高峰),而是J2.
We're roughly two days from the entrance at that point.
在那里我們大約距出口兩天路程。
And it's kind of like a high altitude mountaineering trip in reverse,
它就像一場反方向的高海拔登山之旅,
except that you're now running a string of these things down.
不同的是你用繩子往下走
The idea is to try to provide some measure of physical comfort while you're down there, otherwise in damp, moist, cold conditions in utterly dark places.
這是讓人們在這種地下環境中稍微覺得舒服些,要不然周圍就是完全潮濕,寒冷而且漆黑的地方了。
I should mention that everything you're seeing here, by the way,
我應該提一下,你在這兒看著的每一件東西,
is artificially illuminated at great effort.
都是費了很大勁兒人為照亮的。
Otherwise it is completely dark in these places.
否則,在這些地方全都是黑的。
The deeper you go, the more you run into a conflict with water.
你越深入,就越要費力氣抵抗地下水問題。
It's basically like a tree collecting water coming down.
它基本上就像是一棵向下吸水的樹。
And eventually you get to places where it is formidable and dangerous and unfortunately slides just don't do justice.
最終你會到達了一個可怕的危險的地方,不幸的是這些幻燈片并不能充分顯示(這些地方有多么可怕)。
So I've got a very brief clip here that was taken in the late 1980s.
所以我找了一個1980年代末拍的小短片。
So descend into Huautla Plateau in Mexico.
這是在墨西哥瓦烏拉特高原。
Now I have to tell you that the techniques being shown here are obsolete and dangerous.
現在我要提醒你們這里所用的技術,已經過時而且危險。
We would not do this today unless we were doing it for film.
現今除非是為了拍電影,否則我們不會這樣做。
Along that same line, I have to tell you that with the spate of Hollywood movies that came out last year,
同樣地,我還要說我們在底下從未見過,
we have never seen monsters underground,
象去年新出的大量好萊塢電影中的怪獸,
at least the kind that eat you.
至少沒見到吃人的怪獸。
If there is a monster underground,
如果有地下怪獸,
it is the crushing psychological remoteness that begins to hit every member of the team once you cross about three days inbound from the nearest entrance.
那一定是心中的能致命的孤寂,一旦你從最近的洞口深入三天,這種孤寂感就開始侵襲隊中的成員。
Next year I'll be leading an international team to J2.
明年我要帶領一支國際隊伍去J2.