Hold your hand out and try to keep it perfectly still.
伸出你的雙手,試圖保持完全靜止。
After a moment, it will probably begin to shake.
過了一會兒可能就會出現顫抖。
Hold that same hand out just before you give a major presentation to your new boss, and you'll notice that those normal small tremors increase substantially.
同樣的動作用在給你的新上司做報告前,你就會發現正常的小顫抖會大幅增加。
Why? The answer has to do with how nervous feelings influence a response cycle between two parts of your brain.
原因何在?答案在于緊張情緒對大腦兩個部分之間反應周期的影響有關。
These parts are called the basal ganglia and the cortex.
這兩個部分被稱為基底神經節和大腦皮層。
In order for your brain to control the steadiness of your hand, the cortex and the basal ganglia exchange signals with each other.
為了讓你的大腦穩定控制你的手,皮層和基底神經節互相交換信號。
First, the cortex sends a signal to the basal ganglia; the basal ganglia, in turn, responds returning a signal to the cortex.
首先,皮層給基底神經節傳達信號;反過來基底神經節給大腦皮質傳達響應信號。
These signals are the basis of motor control.
這些信號是動作控制的基礎。
By exchanging signals, the cortex and the basal ganglia allow your hand muscles to hold their position.
通過交換信號,大腦皮層和基底神經節允許你的手部肌肉維持自身位置。
This cycle of signals repeats continuously the entire time your hand is extended.
這種信號循環在你展開手的整個時間中不斷重復。