My second story is about love and loss.
我的第二個故事是關于愛與失敗。
I was lucky. I found what I loved to do early in life.
我很幸運,在人生很早的時期就找到了我所喜愛的東西。
Woz and I started Apple in my parents' garage when I was twenty.
20歲時,我與 Woz 在父母的車庫里建立了蘋果公司。
We worked hard and in ten years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4,000 employees.
我們很努力地工作,10年之內,蘋果由最初車庫中的兩個人變成一家擁有4000多員工、價值20億美元的公司。
We'd just released our finest creation the Macintosh, a year earlier, and I'd just turned thirty, and then I got fired.
那個時候我們最棒的產品Macintosh 剛剛推出一年,而我剛剛30歲,之后我被解雇了。
How can you get fired from a company you started?
你怎么可能被你自己創立的公司解雇?
Well, as Apple grew, we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me.
隨著蘋果的壯大,我們請了一個在我看來非常有才能的人來和我一起管理公司。
And for the first year or so, things went well.
第一年一切都非常順利。
But then our visions of the future began to diverge, and eventually we had a falling out.
但是后來我們對于未來的看法出現了分歧,最終我們之間起了爭論。
When we did, our board of directors sided with him.
爭執發生之后,我們的董事會站在了他那一邊。
And so at thirty, I was out, and very publicly out.
就在三十歲那年,我被炒魷魚了,一次非常惹人注目的解雇。
What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.
一直以來都是我成年生活核心的東西,忽然不復存在了,那感覺相當可怕。
I really didn't know what to do for a few months.
有幾個月的時間,我完全不知道該干什么。
I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down, that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me.
我感到自己辜負了前輩企業家的期望,就像接力棒交到我的手里,而我卻把它丟掉了。
I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly.
我跟 David Packard 與 Bob Noyce 見面,為自己把事情弄得如此糟糕而道歉。
I was a very public failure and I even thought about running away from the Valley.
我成了一名眾所周知的失敗者,我甚至想過離開硅谷。
But something slowly began to dawn on me. I still loved what I did.
然而有一種東西慢慢地照亮了我。我依然愛著我所愛的東西。
The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit.
發生在蘋果公司的事并沒能改變這一點。
I'd been rejected but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.
雖然我被趕走了,但是我的愛依然還在,于是我決定重新開始。
I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.
我當時并不知道,實際上被蘋果解雇是當時發生在我身上的最好的事了。