My Dad was valedictorian of Flint Mandeville High School class of 1956 for about 90 kids.
我的父親1956年從弗林特曼德維爾高中畢業,這屆大約有90 個學生,他發表了畢業演講。
I happened across his graduating speech recently, and it blew me away.
最近我有幸讀到了這段演講,并被其折服。
53 years ago my Dad said: “···we are entering a changing world,
父親在他53年前的畢業典禮上這樣說:“……我們進入了一個日新月異的新時代,
one of automation and employment change where education is an economic necessity.
機器自動化和就業方式的改變使得教育成為經濟發展的動力。
We will have increased periods of time to do as we wish,
我們有足夠的時間去實現我們的夢想,
as our work week and retirement age continue to decline and we wish that were true.
正如縮短一周工作時間及提前退休年齡已經實現一樣。
We shall take part in, or witness, developments in science, medicine, and industry that we can not dream of today ...
我們將參與或者見證我們做夢也想不到的當今的科技、醫藥和工業的快速發展……
It is said that the future of any nation can be determined by the care and preparation given to its youth.
有人說,民族的未來都決定于對其年輕人的關心和培育。
If all the youths of America were as fortunate in securing an education as we have been,
如果所有的美國青年都能像我們這代一樣有幸受到教育,
then the future of the United States would be even more bright than it is today.”
那么美國的明天將更加輝煌?!?/div>
If my Dad was alive today,
如果我爸爸能活到今天,
the thing I think he would be most happy about is that Lucy and I have a baby in the hopper.
我想他最開心的莫過于看到露西和我即將擁有自己的孩子。
I think he would have been annoyed that I hadn’t gotten my Ph.D. yet (Thanks, Michigan!).
我想他會因為我還未拿到博士學位而惱怒(謝謝你,密大!)。
Dad was so full of insights, of excitement about new things,
我的父親是一個對新事物充滿洞悉力和激情的人,
that to this day, I often wonder what he would think about some new development.
直到今天,我還經常想他會如何思考一些新發展。
If he were here today—well, it would be one of the best days of his life.
如果他今天也能來到這里,噢,那將會是他人生中最美好的日子之一。
He'd be like a kid in a candy store.
他會像一個在糖果店的兒童般高興。
For a day, he'd be young again.
在這一天,他又年輕了一把。
Many of us are fortunate enough to be here with family.
我們中很多人都很幸運,能夠在這里和家人們一起。
Some of us have dear friends and family to go home to.
我們中的一些還可以和親友家人一起回家。
And who knows, perhaps some of you,like Lucy and I, are dreaming of future families of your own .
還有一些人也許像我和露西一樣,正夢想著自己未來的小家。
Just like me,your families brought you here, and you brought them here.
總之,和我一樣,家人將你帶到了密大。
Please keep them close and remember: they are what really matters in life.
請和他們保持親密,并且記?。核麄儾攀巧姓嬲陵P重要的。
Thanks, Mom; Thanks, Lucy.
感謝媽媽,感謝露西。
And thank you, all, very much.
感謝大家。